krash73

Would you hunt alone?

The older I get, the harder I find it to be actively hunting with others. They never are doing things "right". Too loud, too fast, etc etc. But nights alone can be hard, too much time to think about how hard the hunt is, missing the family etc etc, next thing you know, if you aren't careful, you can be driving home and realize over the last 24 hours you convinced yourself to stop doing what you have been waiting all year to do!! That usually doesn't happen if you have someone to talk things through and help motivate you.

• Like 10

The older I get, the harder I find it to be actively hunting with others. They never are doing things "right". Too loud, too fast, etc etc. But nights alone can be hard, too much time to think about how hard the hunt is, missing the family etc etc, next thing you know, if you aren't careful, you can be driving home and realize over the last 24 hours you convinced yourself to stop doing what you have been waiting all year to do!! That usually doesn't happen if you have someone to talk things through and help motivate you.

+1 Well said

I hunt alone all of the time. It is very peaceful and is usually when I see the most animals. You just need to be smart about the whole thing. My wife always knows where I am going to be hunting. She actually comes out scouting with me to not only hang out, but so she really does know the country that I am in. The feeling of harvesting a big game animal on your own is indescribable.

• Like 3

I hunt alone, but when I do hunt with others it's only my family members. I learned a long time ago that showing the wrong person an area can ruin it after they tell a friend who tells 3 friends who....

• Like 7

I hunt alone, but when I do hunt with others it's only my family members. I learned a long time ago that showing the wrong person an area can ruin it after they tell a friend who tells 3 friends who....

I agree 100,000,000%

I hunt alone alot just do to the fact not many people in my area hunt the way I do. However my favorite hunts anymore consist of when we have several guys in camp. I really enjoy that setting over alone just because I'm not near as hard core as I used to be and it's more fun helping someone else kill something than me killing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and the offer to help me pack out the harvest. I thought hunting alone was an oddity as I have always gone with friends. Seems to be a lot more common than I thought. I'm pretty familiar with the area and kind of look forward to being alone after reading these posts.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 2

I don't mind hunting alone during the day, but I really enjoy my hunting buddies at the campfire at night and cooking up an awesome dinner

• Like 6

Rifle hunts I'm usually with my partner. Bowhunts are usually alone as my usual partner only rifle hunts. I like the alone time and have no issues with it in the middle of nowhere.

I prefer to hunt alone. But, I like to meet up with hunting partners for lunch or around the campfire. I have spent many nights out in the back country solo and I have never been worried about my own capabilities or safety. But, the last 5-10 years or so, I am a bit worried about the safety of my gear and equipment when I leave camp for the day. Seems as though there has been a shift in values. Even way off the beaten path, I have run into some individuals that gave me the creeps. I don't go on hunts south of Tucson solo.

• Like 3

Since around 8yrs old I was allowed to camp, fire, tent etc. about 500 yards from the house. Mom and dad could see me so it was ok. First hunt (so I'm told) when I was 6 months old. Camped in the back yard from about 4-5 yrs old (usually got scared and ended up inside by midnight) I've had plenty of alone trips and even more alone trips with a loyal dog. Only hunted in a group with family growing up and it was good. In my twenties hunted alone mostly, now on my thirties I have a very loyal hunting partner who I trust my life with and he has helped a lot with moral support and just plain ole strength. I won't discount either style of hunting. You just have to find the one that you like and be willing to change it up if you need to.

Archery or Rifle?

I have a rifle hunt in unit 23.

Just make sure when you glass your target up and shoot you keep a close eye and don't rush things. Tough to shoot and keep track of your target sometimes.

With our group alot do hunt alone because we all have work and family issues. However let 1 of us get something down and need help packing and we have been known to drive clear across the state that night to help pack something out.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong.....I love getting out there all alone, my success rate goes way up there in comparison to when I have a 10 year old or 17 year old I am trying to help, I am horrible when it comes to trying to help my kids. Recently my kids have had more success when I dump them out so they can be on their own. Course.....not my 10 year old....but my teenager has come to appreciate being "out hunting on his own"......and the pleasures that can bring. Solitude, reflection time and that holy hannah there is the animal I am actually hunting.........man I love being out in the woods.

I used to hunt with my dad. Sometimes we would get invited to join others but dad didn't like that after I started hunting. It was me and dad all the time. We could be out in different canyons and we would always find each other without making plans to do so. We would just gravitate toward the same areas. Sometimes we would find the same deer from different angles. Now its just me.

• Like 2