krash73

Would you hunt alone?

You won't be alone. Every bear, lion, rabid varmit, psychopath and pot grower in the unit will be watching you; especially while you sleep.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I now have completing a successful hunt alone on my bucket list. I was getting pumped to be hunting alone for the later part of the hunt but my uncle will be able to give me a hand for the entire week. This is good because he is the one that took me hunting and he is good at finding game. Still learning from him.

• Like 1

get a (spot) unit,love it and alleviates my wifes worries...esp. the track feature. just met a photographer in CO,it saved his life on a solo photoshoot in wilderness area.its cheap insurance.

Most of the game I tag occurs when I am alone, but my Glock .40 keeps me company on such adventures! The one time that I forgot to bring it along, I had a hard time sleeping at night and truly felt alone.

Lots of good points here. Great thread. I believe there are strong merits to both as well.

If we are talking about just having a buddy along just so you arent alone, my vote would be to go alone and appreciate the challenges it brings. Learn a bit about yourself along the way.

If talking about hunting with a like minded person who shares your passion for the mountain and the whole experience of hunting, then I would say without a doubt I prefer to share those memories with a good friend. In the past ten years Ive learned there is but a handful of people who fall into this category for me.

• Like 4

I rarely hunt with anyone else. That includes backcountry trips. Just a matter of my oilfield schedule never lining up with other peoples schedule. I am hunting with a buddy of mine that just got his hunters safety opening day of quail. Looking forward to it.

My grandfather was my biggest mentor growing up in Ohio shooting rabbits, squirrels, and ground hogs. When I moved to az at the age of 21 I had no idea how to hunt big game and where to go. It took me about 4 yrs to start putting it all together. By then my parents moved here with my brother and sisters and my dad and brother were my hunting partners from then on. We pretty much kept everything we learned to ourselves and only took in a couple friends for years to come. They weren't as obsessed with hunting as I was so I hunted mostly alone and preferred it but still cherished the times when they could join me. I was always more successful hunting alone because I would spend more time helping my partners when they were in camp. Being part of their success was and has always been a top priority of mine.

I'm at peace with myself when hunting alone. Just me, the game, the good lord, and all he created. My church as I call it. It's my therapy that I desperately need, from time to time, to clear my head of the fast pace of today's life style.

There is lots of good advise in this thread that I should be following now that I've become older, fatter, and accident prone. My wife doesn't like me going alone and the cell phones definitely have helped her ease her mind except when I forget to call. lol Like several have already said, let someone know where you will be and what your plan is.

For the first time in 20 plus yrs I have a deer and elk tag solo. I'm looking forward to hunting alone. Therapy you might say! :)

TJ

• Like 6

Well said TJ.

I hunt alone because I enjoy the solitude. My Dad and I always camped together during hunting season, but mostly went our separate ways when actually hunting. He's gone now, and camp gets a bit lonely. But I still enjoy the haunting loneliness of the outdoors. Kinda weird?

• Like 2

Well said TJ.

I hunt alone because I enjoy the solitude. My Dad and I always camped together during hunting season, but mostly went our separate ways when actually hunting. He's gone now, and camp gets a bit lonely. But I still enjoy the haunting loneliness of the outdoors. Kinda weird?

NOT weird at all, I like to just leave the city behind for awhile and decompress.

Over the years - I've never had a problem hunting alone - never gave it much thought - 2days - 5 days - 10 days - no phones no real contact -just give general area - like unit 21 and go- lol

Last 2 yrs things kind of changed for me - I don't mind going out for the day hunting alone but find having someone in camp makes the evenings much better !

Inu early twenties my folks were scared to death that I was gonna go live in the woods for good! No cell phone, I'd call my mom once a week from a pay phone at circle k in Tucson. Growing up in a small town, the city messes with your head lol. I almost went hermit a few times til I could afford to buy my place out in the sticks. Everyday when I commute home from Tucson, I feel like I'm camping on the desert.

• Like 2

Not sure how or why. I guess its schedule and lifestyle differences like some have suggested but I find that most things I do in life including hunting is done solo. I enjoy the challenge of being alone off the grid but I also can say for sure I would rather have a good hunt camp with friends or family over solo it just doesn't happen that way. I have been very lucky with a few guys I hunt with who can go solo and hike in deep with camp on their backs. Even if we hunt alone once we get in we meet up at base camp and hang out. I dream of all things full hunt camps and solo and everything in between. I say try them all just like ice cream

I have hunted (scouted, shed hunted, etc.) alone for 20+ years (most of the time). My wife isnt much of a fan but I like the solitude.

Plus, I dont have any friends. LOL

Jeff