Sign in to follow this  
Thedude138

My 7E Archery Bull Elk

Well I was lucky enough this year to draw a archery bull tag. Since the season started I had been out pretty far away from the San Fransisco peaks like 5 plus miles or so north was glass a nice 6x6 out there just about every day for 4 days mornings almost every afternoon I'd get a sighting of him then at dark I spot him some where. Also seen a nice 5x5 as well also seem like they got quite once the opener hit. My dad was getting rained on close to the peaks while my friend and I never seen a drop of rain. Well Monday my friend had to return home for work while I got to spend some time and hunt with my dad.Tuesday didnt have much action then Wednesday I take my dad out to where I been trying to chase the 6x6 we can find some cows after the clouds lifted a bit from the hill no bull. Well the roads were pretty muddy in that area finally got a little rain during the night. So I though go back have some lunch and we should hunt this area by camp where I have seen a number of elk during deer season. That after noon around 3 we get back to where we want to park pop out and walk down a ways and hit this fence then follow it down the hill a ways. As we are moving down my dad spots something brown through the trees ( Hey hey, I see elk I can't tell if its a bull ) well he makes he's way over the fence and oh yea he's a bull once he hits a open spot. I throw my pack down nock an arrow check the wind its perfect. Time to move in, as I'm stalking him he stays about 100 yards ahead of me. After about 30 minutes of following him I start to see other elk, some cows off in the distance about 80 or 90 yards away from him feeding. I make it to some trees I range him 90 yards it reads. Oh I can do a little better close the gap to 70 yards he's kinda quartering away from me. I'm right behind 3 little trees to hide me drawing my bow and I slowly lean around the corner of the trees settled my 70 yard pin right behind his last rib and let her fly. After the shoot didn't hear a load crash or anything couldn't find my arrow or any blood was heart broken though I had missed my bull. Well after searching tell dark and not finding anything arrow or blood I had to come back the next morning. Well went back looked and looked and looked still nothing I was in shock I know I can hit 70 I know I had to of hit him. Well I was about to give up when I made a loop in the opposite direction he ran in after the shoot well after making my loop back to the fence he had crossed the night i shoot him, just a few hundred yards lower I'm walking down the fence line when I stumble into my first dead bull elk with a bow. Could be more pleased with him and to have my dad around to help me with this beautiful animal.

post-11995-0-74686400-1411167940_thumb.jpg

post-11995-0-95991200-1411168046_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Congratulations on a really nice bull! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

Very nice! So how far did the bull travel after the shot?

( kidso ) I haven't really walked it from the shot to where he laid down If I'd have to take a guess he may have made it 150 200 yards. But still thankful I found him and he didn't go to waste!

• Like 2