Sign in to follow this  
ArizonaWildernessHunter

Q5 Centerfire Upland Bird Vest Review

If anyone needs a new bird vest for quail or late season dove the Q5 Centerfire Upland Bird Vest is a great product. I used one during dove season up north this year and while doing dog training and this is one of the best designs I have come across. It rides just like a backpack and is made in AZ.

The newest version of the vest comes with a rubberized material on the thin shoulder straps so your gun will not slip but is easily mounted. It also has an improved way of keeping your bird bag open. The camo pattern appeared to work very well for spooky doves. After emailing Dan Priest with some questions I ordered a vest for myself and my father. His website is easy to find with a Google search. Hunting with this vest was 300% more comfortable than a traditional vest and I could carry lots of water. There are water bottle holders and a spot for a water bladder.

The only thing that I changed on the configuration of the vest was to swap for a snap on the waist belt, but that is just personal preference and does not change the effectiveness of the vest. The radio pouch is big enough for compact radios but is a tight fit for a Garmin GPS Astro 320 (plenty of other places to put this on the vest). I may get 1 or 2 Safariland 080-12 Shell Holders before quail season since I use an O/U for quail and like to be able to reload really quick. I think that these will fit perfect on the waist belt of the vest.

The vest is really adjustable for various sizes of people including height and weight. This would be great if giving as a gift or for someone that is growing.

I have some friends that have WingWorks Vests and they look a little more traditional but think the color options and versatility of the Q5 is amazing. Both seem very durable and can handle the brush in AZ.

The Q5 Centerfire is the first upland bird vest that I would give a 5/5. The WingWorks is the next best with at a 4.5/5. Most vests are like a 2/5 or a 3/5 if cold outside.

Stewart

• Like 1

I am looking to get a new bird vest this year and have been looking at this one. A friend also recommended the Bucks Bags Upland Bird vest. I think I am leaning towards the Q5 though as it looks like it has more storage for water for the dogs. I also like how some parts are detachable if you don't need them. Does anyone in the valley sell them or is it only available mail order?

The water bladder is the 3 liter Eberlestock made by Source. You can fit two of the 3 liter bladders in the vest but think that I will get a 2 liter for the hydration bladder pouch in the bird bag section. The 2 liter one is shorter so will fit better. This vest could be used for an all day hunting trip; including food for you and your dog.

The buckle in the upper left is the one that came with the pack. Got the snap buckle in the lower right when up in Flagstaff. Peace Surplus had the correct size.

$198

I think that the price is really competitive. I tailor hunting gear for my personal use, family, and friends. Just the material cost is well over $100 per vest if you made only a few. Who knows how much the sewing machine(s) cost to purchase and to keep running. Then to top it off Dan Priest is donating a percentage of his profits to Arizona Outdoor Adventures that helps underprivileged children actually experience healthy outdoor activities.

The vest came in a duffle bag. Forgot to take a picture of it the other day. It will hold the vest empty, but if you leave stuff in it like I do then you can just use that for something else.

The website is www.q5outdoorproducts.com

I wanted one of these but I saw it's on back order until November? Correct me if I'm wrong I watched a lot of reviews on this vest I really like and was considering getting it. The back order is the only that stopped me considering quail is 2

Weeks away

Looks like you can get the camo one right now, but would call and double check. My only guess is they ran out of khaki since they are coming out with a new version of the Quilomene vest called the San Carlos.

If they are out of the one you want call the guys at www.flushandpoint.com and see if they have any with the "rubber coating" on the shoulder straps. Their picture of the camo one has the rubber coating but not the orange khaki. Not sure when the "rubber coating" was added to the vests.