Sign in to follow this  
cahallsae

Unit 22 Coues Tag

This is my first Coues Whitetail tag and I have been scouting for 3 weekends without seeing one deer. Lots of scat and prints but I still have yet to actually see a deer. On most Muley hunts I have seen them in the morning and evenings leaving and entering the hillsides. I have been looking everywhere for the Coues (close to 23), South east of Rye, West of Payson/Pine/Strawberry and still have yet to find an actual animal. My hunt is in October and I only have enough time for one more scouting trip. Do Coues bed down on the side of mountians like most Muleys do? I know there is food everywhere for them, anything in particular they love to eat? Could anyone tell me if I am looking in the right spot or if I should look elsewhere. Im not looking for specifics just making sure the work I am doing is not a waste of time.

Thanks for reading

Guest 300ultramag.

you are in some solid areas. Dont be afraid to glass the wide open spaces on mountainsides... I often find myslef glassing bedding areas and than I will find them out in the wide open. The azgfd reccomendations are spot on too. Lastly depending on whem you were scouting the full moon may have hindered your efforts as deer are tough to find when that moon is blazing all night...

• Like 1

There are no coues in 22....might as well stay home this year. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you will find them throughout the unit. It takes a lot of glassing and patience...they can be hard to find some days, and one day you will see many.

• Like 6

Just stay away from the payson area unless you want to be up all night. Me and edge have old crow med show coming to play live every night during that hunt.

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

for your avatar alone... PM me ill give you an area to check out! I miss my lab

• Like 1

head down to Mt. Ord

that's just wrong... LOL!

James

• Like 3

There are deer in most of the unit. Glass all day, glass towards the sun during the heat of the day looking for shady spots on hill sides. Hard to predict when they will get up and move 20 feet. I will be out there helping a friend and working on my sun tan. :)

• Like 1