Big Browns

Anyone hunt Arizona Chucker?

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck hunting Chucker in Az? I would love to give it a try, but I have no idea how or where to hunt them. Is there any guides for Az Chucker?

Adam

There are chukar on the AZ Strip. I have no clue about guides. Maybe a place to shoot pen raised birds also but not positive about that.

I found a place in Coolidge where you can pay to shoot Pheasant & Chucker. I'm planning on taking my kids when it gets cooler. That will be fun, but I would really love to hunt some wild Chucker in Az some day.

Adam

The High Desert Hunt Club just north of Cordes Junction along the Agua Fria River also has pay per released bird Chucker and Pheasant hunts. This is where the game and fish hold the Ken Middleton memorial youth Pheasant hunt each year.

I hunt wild birds in the Mojave national preserve and other spots on the CA side. Would like to find them on the AZ side but the strip and other spots they've been reported are actually a farther drive for me. I already have a Commi fornia license because I hunt both sides of the river and make a trip to NorCal every year.

• Like 2

Hunted them one time up on the Strip with a friend who had killed a handful of birds their before. I think he said his best day was two birds but most trips they couldn't find them. It's a LOOONG ways to go for a chance at a bird and the canyon we were in wasn't too friendly. If you're in it for and adventure and really like burning gas then AZ Chukar are for you! :)

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, Tozi said:

Havasuhunter,

I have been interested in hunting Chukar in Arizona since moving to Phoenix. Have hunted them in Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. North rim is too far to drive when I could go to Barstow. Was looking for some specific info on that area if you would care to reply. Seems like they could fly over the Colorado river to Arizona. I see them fly over the Snake River frequently.

Tozi

The post is from 2014 .Those birds are long dead.

• Like 2