Yuma Outdoorsman

Trail Cam Bighorn

For reference my ram was a tad over 34 inches on this side. I think the ram in the pics is longer and has much more mass than mine.

post-2759-0-72213700-1411671021_thumb.jpg

For reference my ram was a tad over 34 inches on this side. I think the ram in the pics is longer and has much more mass than mine.

attachicon.gifP1010227.JPG

Very nice ram! I'm very jealous!

Doesn't matter what he scores. He'll look beautiful hanging on a wall.

A shooter for most tag holders for sure. I think he would get 170 or close the tight curl loses some length but also makes up some of his character. IMO a very nice ram.

Because his horns dont flair out but curl in in , it makes his mass look bigger. I would say mid to upper 160's, but that is great full curl ram in any unit. ! He's got the tight curl, which leaves a off a few inches in the score. Here's a 161 for reference.

post-10850-0-71962600-1411952287_thumb.jpg

post-10850-0-55013900-1411952331_thumb.jpg

It is over 170, less than 180. I would say about 177. Very nice mexicana ram, a lifetime trophy. Appears to be 7 1/2 yrs. old. It reminds me of the ram taken in 44BN by Skip Rimsza (which is in the lobby of AGFD HQ at 5000 Carefree Hwy.) I believe that ram scored 176 or 177.

forepaw

Guys I am pretty sure that I have a bunch of photos of the same ram and had done a Field Judging Desert Bighorn Sheep Post on my blog on this exact ram a number of years ago, See this link on my website.

Also, for those interested check out this link which has 23 posts on Field Judging and Scoring Desert Bighorn Sheep.

I hope these links help you. We should have a fantastic sheep season this year with all of the great monsoonal moisture we have received. They might be spread out this year but they have lots of groceries to eat!

He's not big, but man is he cool looking. Absolutely beautiful!

Is Adam Cupell hunting? I'd like to hear from him! And, Adams brothers.

Not big???? Minimum entry Boone and Crockett for Desert Bighorns is 168. If Jay's guess is the closest, he less than 2 inches from B&C book. It's funny (myself included) how we all think that a sheep needs to be 170's plus to be a "big" sheep. It's like saying a 108 inch Coues Deer isn't very big? I'd say that is pretty dang big.

• Like 2

You've got to f-i-n-d that last ram first (then again in your hunt unit during the season) ...

azdeserthunter-in my opinion that ram is very cool in his own right but isn't the size quality that an auction hunter would look at. The ram may be sought after for his uniqueness but not for his size. His bases are not big and his curl is tight. Still a very awesome and unique ram but nothing of auction quality in my mind. That ram is nicknamed the "ghost" for a good reason. I hope the general hunter can catch up with him this year. This is just my two cents...

Also, in regards to the original ram for which this post was created, tight curls and smaller bases do not equal big sheep. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate them it just means they will never be that "big". Love the full curl rams though. Remember, big bases, mass carried throughout the whole horn, depth of curl and long horns are the ingredients that make a ram big.

Thanks for posting! Sheep season is coming quick!