Sign in to follow this  
huntingheritage

AZ Unit 33 Late

Hello to everyone on the CouesWhitetail forums. I have poked around on here a few times, but only recently joined. Some of you might recognize my HUNTING HERITAGE name from the Monster Muley forum.

Well, this year I decided to burn my 11 Arizona deer points on a coues hunt as I figured I might never draw a strip tag and this way can add another species to my list.

I put in for the Late Unit 33 Coues hunt and drew it! Stoked, hunting Coues in the rut in Arizona. This will be my big hunt for the year.

When I took my hunters safety class a couple of years ago, I was admiring all the Coues deer hanging on the walls and asked who had harvested all of the great critters there. I met one of the instructors, Butch Jensen, who told me he and one other old boy had killed most of them and offered to help me out by pointing me in the right direction should I ever draw. I have a few other friends who have hunted unit 33 on other hunts, but not the late hunt. I also have access to previous Carters Hunter Services (Huntin Fool) members who have drawn the tag in the past. Let the research begin!

A FB friend told me I should go on the CouesWhitetail forums and see what info is out there and that everyone is very helpful. I am a regular working guy and am going to try to do this hunt DIY as I dont have the kind of money the guides and outfitters are looking for. Now, mind you, I am not saying it is not worth it as I guide Owens Valley Tule Elk hunts in CA, I just dont have the money to throw down this year for this hunt. Am I shooting myself in the foot or is it realistic to put info together from my various sources, scout from my computer for likely areas, show up to hunt, glass like crazy, and then harvest a respectable Coues specimen?

I appreciate any info I can get.

Thanks

Kevin

"You can't kill one sitting on the couch".

Hike away from the roads n glass glass glass you will see deer!! Big bucks still are in the unit!!

Thank you to everyone who has responded privately. Learning a lot and meeting guys I will probably end up friends with. Coueswhitetail.com rocks!

The absolute best time for your hunt is the last week! The rut only gets better as New Year's Day approaches. Don't be discouraged about DIY in that unit. Invest in your optics on a tripod and let your eyes do all the work. There is no shortage of deer. Be prepared to shoot about 500 yards if necessary that time of year. Bucks on the move may not give you a second chance!

• Like 1

Or, be prepared for a much closer bow shot! I do not even hunt deer, but have ran into coues nearly every January 1st for the past 20 years hunting javelina in unit 33. I do not know beans about antler size, but they all look respectable to me!

• Like 1

33 is a unit that you can hunt yourself, you will just need good glass and a willingness to hike some. I killed my first coues near the old"prison camp" off the Mt Lemon HW. I saw much more deer when I started camping and dirt biking off the Reddington Pass road. The north side of the Catalinas is supposed to be a great area, and I never hunted there, I would if I had your tag. The key is glassing, glassing and more glassing. You have a great tag, I wish you luck.

33 is an awesome unit IF you get away from the roads but back in 99 I shot and lost a monster coues up by oracle.

He was a bonafied 130" 5x5, I was using those stupid Puckett bloodtrailer broadheads...my arrow blew through him and was laying on the ground where he was standing........with the remains of a broadhead on it.

We were able to track him for about 500 yds until he found some snow and you could tell he was eating it, after that his blood stopped and we lost him, went back for several days afterward and could not locate the carcass.

I still get sick thinking about it it was a 25 yd broadside shot and he stumbled and fell many times before he went out of sight.

you need good boots for hiking in ...glass with tripod... and patience ... lots of cover ... lots of deer

It's very realistic to just scout from the computer show up, glass and find bucks. I've done it many times do to work, or f Financial reasons when I couldn't make it out scouting. Two years agos I couldn't do any scouting and showed up 2 hours late opening morning and just pick a good ridge. After an hour I got onto a nice 95" buck but messed up on the shot. But everybody is right just Glass and Glass!!

My map is already getting marked up pretty good and I have only spoken with 1 guy on the phone so far. Thanks everyone. Also found out that a friend of mine's son is hunting the same unit with a bow right after I am there.

I may have to try this with a bow next year!