Sign in to follow this  
Arrowsniper

Reloading package, how much?

I'm thinking of getting into reloading.... How much is it likely to cost to buy top-of-line stuff?

I likely just reloading: 9mm, .270, 12ga

thanks

You can get complete kits with everything you need to get started from any of the big name brands for around $300. Personally I prefer the Lyman deluxe kit as it comes with a digital scale and a couple little extras. Other than that all you need to buy is die sets and components.

I suggest a Dillon 550 set up. With everything you need it will cost about $800-$1000. They are located in Scottsdale and have the best warrante in the buisness.

Adam

The above suggestions are fine for metallic reloading, but for the 12ga you may wish to start with a MEC. The issue will be powder for the 9mm and the 12.

• Like 1

The above suggestions are fine for metallic reloading, but for the 12ga you may wish to start with a MEC. The issue will be powder for the 9mm and the 12.

I agree, for the price the MEC loaders are Awesome!

Adam

As stated above, the same reloading press for the 9mm and .270 will not work for the 12ga. Totally different types of presses.

I have a MEC for my 20ga, but it will not work with my 12ga. stuff either. MECs are gauge specific. Lee's can be interchangeable, but they are not nearly as high of quality.

For rifle (and pistol) reloading, I have a Hornady single stage press, and numerous dies, scales, trimmer, hand primer, etc. About $500-800 worth of stuff.

Dies are anywhere from $25-100+ depending on what and how high of quality you get. It is the little stuff that will start adding up fast.

I'm thinking of getting into reloading.... How much is it likely to cost to buy top-of-line stuff?

I likely just reloading: 9mm, .270, 12ga

thanks

Top of the line stuff usually means Redding / Dillion.

Even with the kits, you need things like calipers, case trimmer, shell holders, etc.

Buy a reloading manual FIRST. Then read the case prep, powder measuring, bullet seating stuff a couple of times.

Or go on youtube and look up basic reloading steps.

• Like 1

the good ol' RCBS kit is pretty good as well to get you started. you can spend as little as about $500 to get started and work your way into the higher priced, nicer accessories that make reloading a little nicer. everyone likes to reload a certain way, then build upon how they like to reload and what brands they prefer. RCBS, Lyman, Lee and Hornady all make pretty good, reasonably priced kits that will get your foot in the door. one common misconception is people picking up reloading to save money. it will take a LOT of reloading before you actually save money. my rifle rounds still cost me over $2.00 a round to reload. i could buy a box of core lokt's for a little more than half that price. reload because you want better performing rounds and because it's something you enjoy doing, rather than trying to save money at it

• Like 2

Top of the line does not mean dillon, redding. It means Harrell press, Whidden custom dies. I have been doing precision reloading for over a year now and have bought over 12000,00 worth of equipment. If you want a progressive press for the hand loading get Dillon but for rifle precision reloading Harrell is the only way to go. Look into accurate shooter reviews. A lot of the competition guys wont touch anything beside custom dies and harrell presses. The harrell will run you about 200.00. RCBS chargemaster 1500 for a dispenser and a Gempro 250 for .02 gn exact weighing. The dies best thing to do is send in some fired cases and have custom dies made. :) get you a LE Wilson case trimmer best square case trimmer on the market. K&M champering tool, 21st century primer seating tool, ect. You will find all the top stuff at accurate shooter or 6mmbr. Have fun I know I have. :)

• Like 1

Forget 12ga, just not worth the time for what you get. Get a rcbs rockchuckar kit to load 270 and get the hang of reloading. Then upgrade to the Rl 550b dillon for the 9. The progressives have alot going on at once and will be a lot easier to get the hang of after some practice on a single stage.

Might want to take a look at a Redding T-7 Turret press. Kyle Brown shot a 4.2" ten shot group at 1000 yards for a world record in 2003 using one of these. I think he indexed to minimize runout. This press would let you keep your 9mm and 270 dies ready to go at all times. Till recently HSM was using Dillon presses exclusivity for their Trophy Gold ammo. I have a few boxes left of their 30-06 ammo and it keeps under 5/8" at 100 yards. Single stage is more accurate but slower. Depends on your needs at this time. All the Redding and Dillon stuff is really nice. If you see any good deals on RCBS don't pass them up since the final results will be good as well.

• Like 1

My father in law gave me the press, which knocked out a lot of the expense. At the rate I shoot I will probably be dead before I break even on the money I have spent in reloading stuff. The value to me is the precision I gained after developing a load. I went from 1.4 inch groups with factory ammo to 0.6 inch groups with my hand loads after a bit of experimentation. I wouldn't sell the bullets I have reloaded for twice the price of store bought bullets, even though I loaded them for half the price. It is also nice to have enough materials to make more bullets than you would shoot when the stores are sold out.

Get a good turret press it just makes life easier... I have the T7 and it works well. I have a dillon but only really use it for hand gun loads anymore. But reality is you can make very precise loads in a starter kit if you take your time and make all your actions easily repeatable. I do feel it is very important to work on starting load development by measuring powder by hand until you have dialed in your go to load.

Buy Shawn Carlock's loading for long range video and watch it a few times, take notes, and have at it.

Top of the line does not mean dillon, redding. It means Harrell press, Whidden custom dies. I have been doing precision reloading for over a year now and have bought over 12000,00 worth of equipment. If you want a progressive press for the hand loading get Dillon but for rifle precision reloading Harrell is the only way to go. Look into accurate shooter reviews. A lot of the competition guys wont touch anything beside custom dies and harrell presses. The harrell will run you about 200.00. RCBS chargemaster 1500 for a dispenser and a Gempro 250 for .02 gn exact weighing. The dies best thing to do is send in some fired cases and have custom dies made. :) get you a LE Wilson case trimmer best square case trimmer on the market. K&M champering tool, 21st century primer seating tool, ect. You will find all the top stuff at accurate shooter or 6mmbr. Have fun I know I have. :)

Wow my friend you have a problem!!! Just kidding but if you want top of the line willhunt has layer it out. Both sites mentioned are top notch. Also look at zedycker book on competition reloading.

You can load ammo on an RCBS or Redding press with a quality Redding bushing die that will out shoot most factory guns and most everybody capable of pulling the trigger.

Get good quality stuff the first time. Does not have to be the best or most expensive. What is the best for one discipline of shooting is not always best for everyone else.

Great thing about reloading is you can get in as deep as you want. Just get the very basic to save money and make a few rounds that go bang that are capable of pluggin a deer lung at 100 paces or you can fine tune a meat missile that can center punch the X-ring (or deer vitals) at 1,000 yds with the right driver.

More important than what gear you pick... Make sure you understand the processes involved.

Basics -

Setting up your Dies/Press properly

Trimming when needed

Seating Depth

Learn how to identify the beginning signs of overpressure

Reducing a max load to get a safe starting point

Powder burn rates (which one for xxxx caliber)

After the basics if you choose to get deeper -

Methods of obtaining the perfect load for your gun - Optimal Charge Weight, Ladder Tests, etc

Case neck / projectile runout and how to control it.

Neck tension

Primer seating uniformity

Sorting cases and projectiles by weight or bearing surfaces

Meplat trimming / pointing

Internal ballistics