Sign in to follow this  
CWpredator

2014 DIY unit 9 archery bull elk

Had the fortune of drawing a unit 9 tag this year. Never had been in the unit untill my scouting trips prior to the season. During the scouting trips I located 2 really big bulls. I had high hopes of killing a giant come the season. Got up to my camp 2 days prior to season and found a lot of elk but nothing in the caliber of what I was looking for. The first 3 days of the hunt I passed on 8 bulls under 40 yards but the quality of bugeling and activity time started to deteriorate quickly. I was fortunate enought to harvest this bull on the 3rd evening of the hunt. I knew he wouldn't score great but the character of him being a roll back with long beams great mass and extremely wide I couldn't let him walk when he presented me with a broadside 35yd shot. I figure not to bad for a guy hunting solo in brand new country I'd never been in before. Great way to start the year off and the freezer is full!

post-9475-0-61640100-1411950505_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Sorry on the poor photo quality. All my field photos got deleted off my camera by my easily excited technologically challenged step dad so all I have to show from it is a blurry cell phone photo...

Scores don't mean anything. Hes an incredible bull and you had a great hunt thats what matters.

Awesome bull. Take a trophy photo of the first plate of steaming elk steaks, and all will be forgiven for the lack of field photos!