Sign in to follow this  
sjpitts

Can you actually still hunt unit 32? And a AZGFD mini-rant.

Any guide that pays or landowner that excepts payment to restrict access for exclusive use is not going to admit it.

Only thing to do is homework. Plot maps, topos and research. Hike back into to an area that others can not drive into May end up being the hunt of a lifetime.

I agree that the public should not be block from the use of public lands. G&F could try to work with landowners to possibly get hike in hunting granted. If I were a ranch owner I would not want ATVs and Four Wheel Drives running everything into ruts.

I feel walk in access should never be restricted.

I can understand both sides. I know the rancher at the end of Dragoon road and they have good reasons for closing down the roads like people shooting water lines and tank, cutting locks, ect. They don't let outfitters on the land. They in general don't like hunters. But when they have something killing calves who do they call on hunters. I have been on parts of there land and if I see a dead cow i get the ear tag number or if i see a water line that is leaking i try to fix it i always let them know what I find and I think a lot of hunters stopped doing this. Muledeerarea33 there is a guide that has let it out that he pays landowners to lock down property for his use. I think it is kinda chicken shirt and if someone as an outfitter wants to do this they can move to Texas.

A similar situation in California handled by the state:

Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation Tuesday that allows the state to forcibly open a public access road to Martins Beach if the property owner fails to voluntarily restore public access to the picturesque cove popular with surfers near Half Moon Bay.

The new law is yet another blow to venture capitalist Vinod Khosla, who was ordered last week by San Mateo County Superior CourtJudge Judge Barbara Mallach to reopen the gate to the beach and allow the public in — or get a state permit to close the road. Khosla has said he would likely appeal the ruling, which did not address the issue of the public’s long-term right to access the beach.

SB968, by Sen. Jerry Hill, D-San Mateo, requires the State Lands Commission to negotiate with Khosla for one year in an attempt to find a permanent solution. If an agreement can't be reached within a year, the commission may acquire all or a portion of the property by eminent domain to create a public access road.

I doubt that kaliphonia would do that for hunters. The Cattlemans association in AZ still has more power than it deserves. Most little ranchers cant make any money without overgrazing. Lessees should be for grazing cattle only, not for charging anybody to use public lands.

On the other hand the state in order to take care of its citizens pouring in here should develop recreation areas where the idiots can do their thing without damaging the environment or trampling on personal property.

Guest 300ultramag.

legally if you shoot an animal and it runs on there property cant the the G&F get you in there for recovery.

What does the unit 32 warden do if 90% of his unit is for grazing

legally if you shoot an animal and it runs on there property cant the the G&F get you in there for recovery.

Unless there has been a change that I am not aware of , you can legally retrieve game that crosses onto private property, what you can not do is cut fences and such in order to retrieve game. IMO the proper way to handle such a situation of course would be to inform the property owner and ask in their assistance.

Crossing onto the Res you Must notify a tribal game officer and show that it was legally shot on non Res land and crossed over, and if you are hunting right on the Border of that Mexico Fence and it goes over Leave it for the scavengers!

to answer your questions, basically yes. not sure about 32 but in general the G&F goes to zoning meetings, builds access roads if they can, and controls easements in some areas. they have a guy for every region that deals with access. The Tucson guy is real nice and will explain everything to you. He seems passionate about really trying to gain access.

That is really good to hear. If the AZGFD is willing, I wonder if they just need more legal ability.

Unless there has been a change that I am not aware of , you can legally retrieve game that crosses onto private property, what you can not do is cut fences and such in order to retrieve game. IMO the proper way to handle such a situation of course would be to inform the property owner and ask in their assistance.

Crossing onto the Res you Must notify a tribal game officer and show that it was legally shot on non Res land and crossed over, and if you are hunting right on the Border of that Mexico Fence and it goes over Leave it for the scavengers!

[/quote If the property is properly posted and you shoot game that crosses onto private land you can't retrieve it without permission from landowner. You can call G&F and they can talk to landowner but the landowner can say no to the retrieval.

When you take into account the way some "hunters" behave, we all get punished for their actions.

A rancher friend of mine knew a hunt was going on (they hunt as well), so put up a 4'x4' plywood sign in front of their loading chute, asking hunters who camped in the area to PLEASE not block the chute during certain dates, as they would be loading cattle during those dates. They arrived to find the chute and pen not only completely blocked by a camp, but the sign was burning in the "hunter's" campfire along with the empty bottles from SEVERAL cases of Bud Light. At least one of the guys in camp (who I and the rancher happen to be acquainted with) had already been cited and convicted of littering while hunting from an incident prior to this. He obviously didn't learn a thing.

This type of behavior only causes ranchers and property owners to say to heck with it... and I can't really say that I blame them.

• Like 1

I'd love to hear from guides. Do you all pay big bucks for this type oc access?? Be honest now! I'm sure most don't but will the brave stand up?

Ok now tell us how if you were to spend the kind of money it takes to buy a ranch such as these, how you would turn down opportunities to make a profit so you could allow the public to access your land and trash it for free. Then explain what is wrong with a guide paying for access to private land.

• Like 1

In our capitalist society it is not against the law for someone to pay someone else for the use of property. We are spoiled in Az because we have so much public property. When I lived in Iowa we had to ask the farmer to hunt his land. Many said no and then let their friends hunt. Look at all of the pay to hunt places in S. Dakota. The problem in AZ is the roads that lead to the public lands were built by the ranchers and go thru their private property. Even if they only own 1 acre and the road goes thru which is usually the case the courts have said they have the right to close that road. So, the solution is to build a road around the private property. It takes millions of $ to build roads these days. The G&F doesn't have the money. The Land Owners Relations Dept of the G&F have opened roads if they can prove in court that the road was a public road. Also they work on agreements with the land owners to allow access, with certain rules such as sign in sign out, fixing fences, providing signs, etc. But, it takes a lot of work. The Fed. State government could spend your money but the public has no will to be taxed more so you can go hunting. And also increased access would let everyone in and you know what happens then. Almost any solution that you can come up with with costs money. When you add it all up then maybe $100 is not so much. Maybe hard to swallow but with so many more people wanting access this is the way its going to be.

I'd love to hear from guides. Do you all pay big bucks for this type oc access?? Be honest now! I'm sure most don't but will the brave stand up?

Ok now tell us how if you were to spend the kind of money it takes to buy a ranch such as these, how you would turn down opportunities to make a profit so you could allow the public to access your land and trash it for free. Then explain what is wrong with a guide paying for access to private land.
not sure why you quoted me on this one? I don't have an issue with a guide paying a rancher or large land owners to hunt. I personally have access to 3 different ranches with locked gates and I don't pay a dime. I got permission by not being a D-bag and respecting the property. My problem is when a few acres of private land blocks access to thousands of acres of public land. But as I said earlier in this thread, g&f does try.