Sign in to follow this  
az_shooter

Alaskan Moose Hunting Information Needed

With the Alaska Game & Fish 2015 draw application opening up in just a few weeks I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Moose hunting and the application process Alaska has. I know nothing about the Alaskan Moose or where and when to hunt them but I am hoping to dig up some information from somebody who might know. So, what are the better units to put in for and what time of year should I try and hunt them? I read in their regulation book that I have to buy a license to be eligible for the draw so I know I need to get one of these first. I couldn't find much on bonus points so do they have a point system or do you just put in every year and if you get drawn it's a "good for you" and if you don't it's a "better luck next year" kind of deal? I'm sure if I can find someone who has good experience with hunting in Alaska I will have tons of more questions but until then that's all I got. Thanks for any help in advance.

I hunted moose in Southeast Alaska for quite a few years and have been on many successful meat hunts. The amount of meat that comes with a moose and the work of getting one out of the woods is over whelming at best. My next hunt for Alaska moose will be a float hunt down one of the rivers in the interior. I wish I had more info for you but I got to get a kid though U of A before I can pull it off. It is a popular way to hunt moose and can make it a easier pack out. I sureThe other thing to look at is horn restrictions. I know that some of the units have some pretty high expectations on what you can shoot and though a big set of horns are great, sometimes it is pretty hard to find one that fits those requirements. If you google un-guided float hunts, you will find some great info.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Brent

Easy to get a tag in Alaska. Plenty of hunting without a draw. The logistics are incredible and yes there are some horn restrictions in many of the area's closer to civilization. Find someone that has done it to go with or go guided. I had the help of 2 experienced friends who have taken many moose and even with them it was a task. If you do a search for Alaskan Yukon moose I posted a short story and some pictures of my moose hunt on September 21st 2010.

Coho - thanks for the info, I was actually wanting to do a float type hunt.

pwrguy - I'm not too familiar with the process of everything so could you explain the process of getting a bull moose tag without going through the draw as a non resident, thanks a bunch.

No bonus points in Alaska. Every year it's the luck of the draw. Moose hunting is done by draw near population centers and along the roads due to ease of access and number of hunters. If you get away from that you do not need to put in for a draw, but then access becomes the main issue. You will have to do a fly in-fly out or rent a boat.

Go to this page, and click on the different units.

http://www.adfg.alas...lations.hunting

For each unit, look at the moose section. Then look at each N for "nonresident". Then go to the right and it tells you the type of moose. You will be looking for hunts with HT for harvest ticket. Also note the 50 inch antler restriction, some hunts have this. 50 means 50, if the moose horns are 49 inches you will get a ticket.

If you have high speed internet, download the entire book and you can see all GMUs.

If you decide to go for a draw, the deadline is Dec. 15th. Be sure to search for the 2015-2016 draw supplement, the last page shows the hunts and draw success.

Success in the rural villages is really high, near 100%. It's different for the villages on the road system, I hear near Circle the success was very low. Hordes of hunters drive up from Fairbanks and there aren't very many moose left.

post-11227-0-11441300-1415689664_thumb.png