coueser4

My Archery Antelope Hunt with Video

This was by far the most challenging hunt I have ever been on. Not only was I chasing the fastest land animal in North America with a stick and string but I was also trying to catch it on film with the help of my friends. I spent 15+ days in the unit scouting and filming all of the respectable bucks I could find throughout the months prior to opening day. Antelope became a favorite of mine to scout because you could see the quality the bucks would be even months before the hunt, plus they are just plain awesome. Now hunting the speedgoats with a bow... well that’s a whole new ballgame.

My goals were: 1. shoot a good buck with my bow, 2. Spot and Stalk style and 3. Get it on video. Those goals were reached after much hard work, persistence, help of friends and a big dose of luck of course!

I had a pretty good hit list of bucks going that I really liked and you will see them in the video. I was able to see and put a stalk or several stalks on each of these bucks during the 7 days I hunted. They would either see us, wind us or just flat out disappear each time. There just wasn’t one opportunity to make a perfect stalk because something would go wrong each time. I quickly learned that that’s the “joys” of spot and stalk archery hunting for antelope!

Finally on the 7th day we located a buck we named “PG”. He was in an area we had tried stalking him a couple times before. This time we were prepared for the move he was going to make. He ran to the same field he ditched us in before but this time we got to the back edge and the wind was in our favor, we had cover in the trees and they were working in on an angle towards us.

We moved along the trees looking out in the field to locate them. Just after my friend TJ decided to get some video rolling of the stalk, I peaked around a tree and PG was right there! I signaled to TJ to stop because I didn’t want them to catch any movement. PG was broadside making a scrape at 73 yards! I couldn’t believe the opportunity was finally here to let one fly!

My heart was pounding and the excitement was increasing but I knew I needed to make the shot. As I drew back he still had no idea I was there. I got a clear shooting lane and settled my 70 pin on him and touched off the trigger. WHACK! I knew it was a good shot when I released and I watched the arrow center punch him! He bolted left and we waited a bit to retrieve the arrow and to finish off the excitement of a stalk finally coming together so perfectly!

He didn’t run too far and we saw the white spot out in the next field telling us that he was down! I want to thank all those who helped out on this hunt and supported me in achieving the goals I had set for this hunt. It sure wasn’t easy and it made for a truly memorable experience.

I am now happy to share this video and photos with all of you so you can get just a piece of that awesome experience. Many days and hours went into the content and production of the video and I hope you all enjoy!

http://youtu.be/ezPE7iBQYlc

http://youtu.be/ezPE7iBQYlc

• Like 6

Congrats on filling your tag. Really enjoyed the video. Lots of great footage most of which was actually of the animals you were hunting and not the usual filler footage of trees, rocks or hunters driving in their trucks. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Super job on the video! Great footage and congratulations on a great buck! Way to achieve your goals!

• Like 1

Loved the video. That fight between those two bucks was awesome. Congrats on your goat!

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

If you missed this the first time then I hope you enjoy it this time.

My hunt story and video have been posted on i-videowildlife website and there are some more pics on there as well for you to check out. Yes there is a contest as well and your help would be greatly appreciated! You can simply click the link and see the post, that helps. You can also now cast a vote for it to win the contest too! If you like it then a vote would be great!!

I really just want to share out the awesome experience I had in chasing these antelope around with my bow! It was too cool not to share and this is just another avenue to help share it out!

Check out the rest of the site too because there are some cool photos, stories and videos on there!

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.i-videowildlife.com/our-obsessions/arizona-archery-antelope-brett-porter