Sign in to follow this  
elkwrestler

I Have returned...sorry for the delay

Well I must apologize for the delay in the story. I was typing the story and thought it was only a draft and I guess somehow I posted the story, well I guess I will pick up where I left off.

As I said I had to return home from the hunt and when I did my brother found the big non typical. They got on the bull and within 60 yards but couldnt get a clear shot or a shot that my mom felt comfortable with. When you see the pic of the bull you will understand the hard decision it was for her not to take a shot either way. So the next four days were spent on the big bull but for one reason or another we just couldnt make it happen. I had returned to camp and we were hunting hard with long hikes everyday and late night walks back to the truck. Im 28 and i pretty good shape, my brother is 26 and in amazing shape, my mom is 50 and doing the best she could....on the second saturday of the hunt we chased the big bull into a remote area where we would eventually lose him for the rest of the hunt. on the way out hiking in the dark for an hour or so I turned to my mom and said "im so proud of you and all your hard work" ha wrong time i guess! mt sweet little mom turned to me and said "shut up and keep walking! im getting F****** tired" blahahahah my brother and i couldnt stop laughing because we had never heard her say anything like that.

that night we decided that if a good bull came by we would do our best to get her a shot and we would forget about the non typical.

the next morning after a mile hike in we found the big bull had moved out of the canyon and up into a very huntable area. we got the wind in our favor and moved out in front of the heard. it was just mom and myself as my brother and dad glassed from a ridge. We dropped our packs and inched in as we crested the last small rise we came nose to nose and 6 yards with.... a cow and the hunt was over. THe elk blew out, i quickly cow called and it seemed to slow them down at about 200 yards out. I sat down knowing i just blew the best opportunity she might have the rest of the hunt. I felt sick. My mom being the wonderful mom she is said its not your fault lets just try to cow call the bull back. know the chances of that happening were slim to non i halfassed called to make her happy. but before i could explain why this wouldnt work i looked up to see antler tips walking right at us. I quickly placed her in front of me and backed up but the bull was moving in to fast. she nocked an arrow the bull was walking right past us looking for us. he stepped into a clearing i ranged him and whispered 50 yards, cow called, the bull stopped bugled and her arrow passed through right behind the shoulded. She asked over and over if it was a good hit. within ten seconds she knew it was as we heard the bull pile up. It was not the non typical but a bull she would be very happy with. We called my brother on the radio and he and dad made the hike over. I couldnt be more proud of all her hard work and dedication to shooting and working hard all summer to make a great shot and a clean kill.

Here is her bull and the big non typical,hope you enjoyed the story and sorry for the delay. post-3458-0-40609200-1413870577_thumb.jpgpost-3458-0-78565400-1413870641_thumb.jpgpost-3458-0-97405300-1413870659_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Great story and a huge congrats to your mom. Your a very lucky gentlemen and family that you get to hunt with your mom. Its not always the size of the bull, but the stores behind the one that finally gets taken which becomes a trophy of a story. Congrats again you guys are very blessed.

• Like 1

Wow what a consolation prize! And to be out there with you family like that, simply amazing. Congrats to all of you!

She took a true brute. Great story, even with no opportunity at the non-typical. Great memories made, and great eating in the near future for all.

elkwrestler.

I ran into you and your mom out there. I knew you had seen the bull! hah.

We were hunting the same non typical!

I thought it was awesome you were out there hunting with your mom was kind of hoping you would get the bull.

I was guiding a client we came close but it just didn't happen.

The non typical was killed on the early rifle by an older gentleman right off the road outside his camp.

Scored 422.

Your mom got an awesome bull congrats.

Thanks guys, it was sure the lowest point of the hunt and i have never felt worse that when I spooked the cows off, but then to have such a quick turn of events and emotions when the bull came in was simply amazing. i guess thats why we do it. on a side note we had the whole family for help packing the bull out. kids wives and sisters. best hunt i have ever had.

• Like 1

Awesome hunt and story. it was worth the wait to hear the rest of the story. Thanks for sharing and congrats to your mom for getting the job done! Congrats to your whole family as it was certainly a family effort. great memories for all of you!

That is a sweet bull! Great that your mom nailed that beast!

Congrats to your mom for taking a very nice Bull!