Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Hodgdon Superformance

So I got a pound of hodgdon superformance a while back. I pulled it out today to start load development for my 243 pushing 95 grain hornady sst,s. Guess what i can not find load data anywhere!! Has anybody had any experience with this powder? Just want to check with you guys before i start making phone calls to hodgdon and hornady.

From what I have read it is not in their standard data so you will need to call.

You probably already know this but you may have to find something close back off to the starting numbers and work up very slowly. From what I read it sounds like you will becoming close to a compressed load which is probably why they stop before they get to the larger bullets.

Yeah I know hornady makes a "factory load" Im trying to make. I might buy a box and pull a bullet and see what they shoved in there and start from there.

I have a box that what my daughter shoots in the little 243. I would volunteer one but we are headed out for the hunt tomorrow and then I am away on travel next week.

Bass Pro had them but if you can't find them shoot me a PM.

Loaddata.com only lists data for 70-75 grain bullets in the .243 with superformance powder. Start loads of 45 grains and a max of 49. I would start somewhere around 42 grains and work up for a 95.

" I might buy a box and pull a bullet and see what they shoved in there and start from there. "

I think I read somewhere that the factory superformance loads hornady sells is sometimes different from the powder you can buy ,not sure about this but just sayin be careful .

Superformance has a burn rate similar to H4831, probably a little slow burning to get optimal results in a 308 derived case like the 243 Win. I have tried it in the 308 and velocity was low with a compressed charge. A better bet would be CFE 223. It has Superformance characteristics but is faster burning and works very well in the 308. It has the additional bonus of preventing copper fouling of your barrel, and there is a wealth of information in Hodgdon's Annual Manual Realoding, a magazine like manual they publish yearly. Superformance is better suited for longer higher capacity cases, and I think, an excellent powder for the 3006 length cases, both standard width like the 270, 280 and 3006, and the 3006 length magnums like the Dakota series of proprietary cases and the 375 Ruger.

If you wanted to try Superformance in the 243 STOMP442 advise seems very sound.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

For now i just loaded them up with h4350. My boys hunts start friday and I dont have a lot of time to try and develop a new load. I guess I'll play with it in the off season.