Sign in to follow this  
AZHunter11

Mule Deer Hunt Success

Day 1:

I scouted the area 4-5 weekends before the hunt since I like to be prepared and have alternate hunting/glassing spots, and I'm glad I did. I started out the morning with a couple buddies at one of the best glassing spots. Since most of the deer that I've seen there were more concentrated in a specific area, I hiked over to a hill near that area to be in a better shooting position. Still dark by the time I got there, I set up the tripod and binos and waited for sunlight. About an hour after sunrise, one of my buddies said they located deer. I headed back to where they were and they pointed out a wide 2x2 bedded down under a tree. Although he was only 500 yards out, the only thing we could see was his head and antlers. Since I had no idea which direction his body was facing, I decided to wait for a better shot. I briefly took eyes off of the scope when my buddy said he just stood up. By the time I located him again in the scope, he had already walked behind a tree. Hoping he would step out for a broadside shot, something spooked the deer and that buck along with two spikes bolted... bummer! I hunted hard the rest of the day but didn't come up with anything.

Day 2:

Since that spot produced deer the previous morning, I decided to start there again. My buddies weren't able to make it this morning, so I went to the same glassing spot we saw those deer. Once daylight hit, I spotted a couple groups of doe with fawns. A little more searching and found a buck further out heading my direction. Once within shooting range, I noticed that it was the same buck that I missed out on the morning before; strange since I haven't seen much patterning among mulies. He continued closing the gap between us, and when he stopped to chew on some brush 300 yards in front of me... boom. I quickly found him in the scope after the shot and saw that he fell straight backwards without taking another step. While field dressing him, it looks like the bullet went straight through his heart. My buddies showed up just in time to help pack it out too haha. There was a small point growing on one side, so turns out he was a 2x3; it was a great hunt and happy to have meat in the freezer!

post-11907-0-11074000-1414348947_thumb.png

• Like 2

Very Nice!!! Congratulations on your SUCCESS!!

Congrats on your success!

Thanks for sharing with us and I look forward to seeing more bucks hit the dirt for you.

Welcome to the forums!

Really nice looking buck!

Well done