Sign in to follow this  
azpredator@work

first rifle coues

I only had 4 days to hunt so I figured my best opportunity would be my second favorite hunting method - bivy hunt (my favorite hunting style is any method other than bivy :P ). Its an 8 hr drive from my home to where I would be hunting in unit 23 so it was a long night Thursday. I arrived at 3am Friday morning, unloaded my pack, changed into my camo and was off. It took a little under 2 hours to get to the spot I had marked on my GPS. I set up camp in the early morning as light barely began to shine. I set up on a hill where I could glass 3 sides from my tent. Friday proved to be uneventful with only a half dozen muley does spotted.

post-4763-0-75316700-1414374258_thumb.jpg

Saturday morning I decided to quickly descend a 15' decline head first. My rifle took the brunt of the fall and I only suffered a bruised mid section and and handful of cuts from grabbing a thorn brush. That sucked!

post-4763-0-99317800-1414374347_thumb.jpg

At 9:30 I glassed up a nice 8pt @ 436yds. I took a peek at my printout and read 4.5. Me, being a rookie rifle hunter, thought it was inches of drop so I got a steady rest and fired. Buck just stood there. I readied the rifle once again and fired. Buck started walking off unalarmed. I figured my rifle was off after the fall and started looking at it. I fired a test round at a rock at 200 yards...perfect hit. I looked at the drop reading attached to the butt of my rifle. OOOPS! MOA = 4.5 / Inches of drop = 24". What an idiot! I admit, got a lot to learn.

For the rest of the day, I hiked and glassed, hiked and glassed, hiked and glassed. I saw several bucks that were small and ended up glassing this buck @ 236 yards bedded on top of a knife ridge. I dropped to the prone position and shot him in his bed. He's a mainframe 2 pt, but with triple eyeguards and some trash he's a 10 pt. Nice character buck.

post-4763-0-42107800-1414374445_thumb.jpg

I used my KUIU 1850 pack to carry all my gear. Most of the weight came from the water I had to bring. Total weight = 56 lbs. I was ready to stay 4 days, but only needed 2 which was nice for a change.

"Look...I can see the road!"

post-4763-0-00728600-1414374520_thumb.jpgpost-4763-0-49064600-1414374566_thumb.jpg

Weather and bugs were miserable. Not a whole lot different than hunting in august. Although I have shot quite a few with my bow I was just as excited to shoot this guy with a rifle. I'm sure it's the first of many. Good luck to everyone this year.

• Like 11

Cool buck and good story. Love the picture of your camp with the deer head. If I ever draw another 23 tag I'd love to pack in to a couple places I have in mind. Congrats.

That sounds like a great trip way to get it done.That is a great buck very unique I've been debating a backpack hunt on my dec coues hunt

Awesome deal, sounds like fun, congrats on a very cool buck!

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing your story and pics! Congrats!

Bivy hunting surely did the trick for you, congratulations!

Nice mature buck --- you definitely earned him!

Very nice buck that you earned the hard way! My hat's off to you for sure. Congratulations and great pictures.