Sign in to follow this  
chopshop

Coues and Cattle.........

I have a quick question here.... The area I'm hunting in this year for coues deer has cattle roaming around, and although this have never been in problem in the past years, this year seems different; most of all the cattle have cowbells habging around their necks. While out glassing this morning for our upcoming hunt all I could hear is them clanking cowbells. A good friend, and a helluva a coues hunter, said don't worry about it, the deer are used to it. What's your thought and does anyone have any experience hunting near cattle with cowbells on? Thanks in advance.

Your friend is probably right, I would assume that the deer hear and see the cattle all the time so they know what's a threat and what's not.

• Like 1

So the lesson here is wear cowbells while your out hunting.

• Like 5

I am experiencing the same problem where I am hunting, and was wondering the same thing. Those cowbells weren't on them last year lol

• Like 1

Deer get used to all types of things.

Years ago, the guy who lived in the last house in Brown Canyon below Baboquivari Peak used to set off dynamite every hour or so on opening weekend, apparently hoping to scare deer away from hunters.

It didn't work. A friend and I were watching deer when he did this and they didn't flinch. They simply kept on feeding.

I've also watched deer totally ignore gunfire.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

Thanks for the info fellow's...... I'm still on the fence whether to hit that area or move on. I'll report back after the hunt.

I had a hunt on a mountain top with a radio repeater that would cycle an AC. I just waited for the AC to kick on to move. The deer worked the flat around the repeater at dawn. The result was my first Coues. They know the normal noises and those that are not normal.

Deer get used to all types of things. Years ago, the guy who lived in the last house in Brown Canyon below Baboquivari Peak used to set off dynamite every hour or so on opening weekend, apparently hoping to scare deer away from hunters. It didn't work. A friend and I were watching deer when he did this and they didn't flinch. They simply kept on feeding. I've also watched deer totally ignore gunfire. Bill Quimby

Just like all the deer and sheep on the Yuma proving grounds. Random bombs, gunfire, etc and they dont usually change their location or routine.

I keep coming to the conclusion we give critters way to much credit... they aren't exaclty sitting around thinking of ways to have a better day. :rolleyes:

The OP or my comments on blowing stuff up?

Look up 43B, you have to go get a card to hunt issued by the base part of the getting the card is agreeing to call every day for clearance to the unit. I had two days where I was not allowed on and you could hear the bomb session going off most of the day. Bummer was the part of the range the G&F had seen the largest bucks on their last census was completely closed for firearms training due to the war in Iraq. Still an awesome unit though.

I have got to agree with deer ignore familiar noises - out in the desert - the dirt bikes had worn trails all through the foothills and even some fairly rough/ remote mtns . you could almost set your watch by the time each Saturday / Sunday the riders would scream down the trails . I had crossed the motorcycle trail and had set-up watching several deer . I can hear the wingdings a coming - thought for sure it would scare off the deer - They never even gave it a glance - just kept on feeding. they were less than 100 yrds from the trail .

same for distant gun fire or the guys who have more ammo than most and shoot nonstop for hrs. deer could care less

as far as cattle I usually look around any cattle I see as they tend to be more alert and spooky than deer .

think deer use them as an alarm system

Guest 300ultramag.

I have witnessed deer move out of an area when the cows move in..

I don't think they mind the cattle... But I think they don't neccesarily care to be around them