Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

Friendy coues doe

Around five years ago I would hike in a spot and run into a doe that would just let me get super close like 20 feet away before she would move off. She would never run or got to far just move off a little ways. Its not like I snuck in on her or she was bedded, she would be up feeding and I would slowly walk right up to her In the wild. She would even pee right in front of me after seeing me walk up which I thought was very strange. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this in the wild?

post-4217-0-13071500-1414385503_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-79961400-1414385525_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-65338500-1414385541_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Maybe she just got used to seeing you and didnt think you were dangerous. Did you see the pbs program 'touching the wild'? Its incredible. Guy got accepted into a mule deer herd. Had wild deer all around him coming up to him and grooming him. You can see it on pbs.org.

• Like 2

I don't know if it counts as "the wild", but I've had whitetail does come up and sniff my hand at TNC's Ramsey Canyon Preserve. they are so habituated to people there that I don't count it as completely "wild", but the first time a doe did that, it was cool. A couple of years ago, we took our kids there and a doe let my then 8 year old daughter walk right up to 3 feet from it and the doe just stared and sniffed at her. Of course, my daughter thought it was one of the coolest things ever.

• Like 1

In 36B years ago on one of our first trips down there my brother had a doe and fawn feed right up to him the closer they got had him tucking himself tighter to the tree he was using for shade while glassing... They fed right to him to the point they began smelling his boots. It was about then he sneezed and they jumped back about 10 yards but did not leave .. The doe and fawn started blowing through their noses and worked right back to him ... I watched from across the ridge for a while until he decided he had enough and stepped out from the tree sending the white flags up and dust trails flying away from him ... Was cool to see !

• Like 1

We saw a coues doe like that on my backpack hunt. We didn't get as close as you did, but she clearly heard and saw us coming and just kept calmly feeding and slowly moving slightly away. We got to 20 yards or so before she finally decided to move off more quickly. It was a nice experience! I had another time the same thing happened on Mt Graham....got within 20 feet of her...fun!