Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Early deer oct hunts

It was a tough hunt this year for us as well. This was my 11 year olds second deer hunt since completing his hunter safety. The gnats where pretty nasty until my brother in law came and joined us, and brought the best little device ever made (at that moment). It uses a small butane thingy and has a card that puts off a fume of sorts. Worked like a charm to fight off the little buggers. Yep it was hot, and the cows were numerous as we hiked around the spots I have seen bucks in the past. I tagged out, and actually regret it. I will post up a write up here about it.

Hey Lark,

the old man didn't raise no sissies. I spent my whole childhood trying to keep up with him, and he was huffing a camel the whole time. He made me cross Deadman to go back and look for my empty 6.5 brass after I killed my first buck. Didn't even congratulate me. I will never forget him telling me " you left 35 cents on the side of that mountain get your butt back over there and find it". My brother and I would have to stay in the truck as he went into Circle K and came out with a loaf of bread and two cans of Viennas and that was breakfast, lunch and dinner. After lunch he would reach in his pack and ask my brother and I if we wanted a candy bar. Of course we wanted one and he would laugh and say "yeah. I do too".

Retired at 52 and lives in Alpine, I should have learned to like a bread sandwich.

We hit it hard for five days, his granddaughter is the toughest beautiful girl I know. I'm thinking about calling in sick tomorrow.

Wow!! Diehards! There's usually 3 areas these type of people do for work in life. Navy Seal, Army SF Delta Fource, or a rancher from Alpine Arizona. I've seen these ranchers at the Bear Wallow all pissed off looking and looks like they can break you in half. Us normal hunters can't compete with those so ill still whine here and there :)

Vi-eeny snausages, breakfast of hunters. Keeps ya reg'lar. Give ya the squirts so bad you wont even know where it lands. We useta always tell steve he was so skinny if we buried him head first up to his shoulders he'd look like a ocotillo. You could always tell where he was by lookin' for the smoke off his camel. Looked like a little locomotive chuggin' through the brush. He's fairly tough. He got bit by a rattler once and just smoked a camel while his skinny leg sucked all the juice outta the snake until it was just bones and skin. Said it recharged his battery. Then he broke it into pieces and smoked it too. He wouldnt whine about a few gnats and a little heat, that's for sure. Is he still makin' stocks? I cut down an excellent black walnut last summer and sawed it into slabs. Cut down another one a few weeks ago, but haven't hauled to the mill yet. Lark.