Sign in to follow this  
ultramag338

unit 32 otc

Hey guys new to posting but have been a long time reader on the forum! I am from new mexico and I am planning on a trip to AZ for a January OTC archery hunt..I'm looking into unit 32 as a buddy of mine recommemed this unit. My ? is what's the public access like and how strong is the deer population? Thanks for any feedback!

this will give the info you need.

I don't frequent this unit but have been in there a few tomes callin coyotes.

I have found in general azgfd gives pretty good starting info info on access and deer haunts are usually pretty accurate.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_32.shtml

James

Public access is pretty limited. There are a few places but they get crowded. Plenty of deer though. If your coming from nm there are better units with better access. Imo

Public access is pretty limited. There are a few places but they get crowded. Plenty of deer though. If your coming from nm there are better units with better access. Imo

Yes, I agree. I have not bow hunted the area but had issues getting into the unit compared to other units. If your planning on back packing it might be just what your wanting, because of the access issues, you could get away from the crowds, but very few entry points.

Are you sure they didn't recommend unit 33?

Going in on the west side of the unit has gotten more and more restricted. We used to hunt the unit out of Mammoth, but that is a lot more difficult now. The one rancher (can't remember the name) was selling access passes the last time that we went, and that was okay, but the locked gates were a pain. Used to be a lot of mines up in the higher elevations there ... active small claims with guys working them. Not sure if that is still the case or not, as it has been about 7 years or so ... but back then you wanted to steer clear of those. Not sure how the east side is. Lots of people used to talk about going in that way and having success.

Used to be some great bucks in there, and I am sure there still are. I got on a Coues buck in there several years back that likely scored over 100" ... just couldn't close the gap enough to take a good bow shot at him.

Good luck.

Any open unit just look at the regs page 42. I also heard they closed an access point on the east side by klondike