Sign in to follow this  
joelpresmyk8

My FIRST mule deer!

So let me start off by saying I put in for the 19a any tag this year because I wanted to chase some whitetail I had seen previously. Buuuut at the same time I only have one spike coues with my bow as my only other deer kill so I liked the idea of being able to shoot either type of deer! I put in a lot of scouting time and didn't come up with many bucks just a lot of does. so going into the hunt I wasn't to optimistic about things. The first couple days of the hunt proved to be kind tough (on me) only finding lots of does and some big elk. on the 3rd morning I went into an area by myself as a total shot in the dark and within the first hour of light I found a 2 point muley and a big two point whitie but neither deer worked out for a stalk. I went into the same spot the next day with a couple buddies hoping to find the big two point coues. but instead found a big 2 point mulie and a big 4 point. I was more then happy to try and get one of them. as we sat there we devised a quick plan to get on them. my buddy stayed and watched from the glassing point and me and another buddy started down the hill to close the distance. we get as far as we can go and we range them at exactly 650 yards. I set up and got in the scope to see how steady I was. I felt rock solid. I took a shot and hit him but we couldn't tell where. looked a hair far back and high. after finding him again I took another shot at 550 but my nerves got the best of me and I missed. he went a little further and bedded down at 500. I got steady again and shot. Heard the loud thwack!!! and we knew he would be dead but for the next 6 hours we sat and glassed and glassed watching out for him. every once in a while we saw a tail flicker but not much. I was super nervous because I didn't want to lose any meat. from the first shot at 9:30 it wasn't until 2:30 he bedded down in the wide open at 500 yards. I got rock steady again and really took my time and took a final shot that finished him off! I was STOKED to say the least. my first mule deer and to me it was HUGE!!!!! I know I didn't perform like I wanted to while shooting but my two buddies stuck it out with me and we followed through till we had him. Thanking God for all of it! hopefully the video uploads

post-7395-0-08065000-1415054255_thumb.jpg

post-7395-0-08888000-1415054312_thumb.jpg

post-7395-0-68869900-1415054366_thumb.jpg

My.wmv

• Like 6

That is a good muley no matter what, awesome buck, congrats!

Congrats on a very nice mulie, and thanks for sharing the pics and story!

Fantastic mule deer!