Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

Hunting with my boy-good times

We drew a couple any deer tags in 5a/b this year. This was my first rifle hunt in about six years and I really wanted to find some great deer for us. I scouted a bunch throughout the summer, but I had a hard time finding many deer. I tried a new area about three weeks ago and finally found some deer that I could pattern, but they were in a hard place to hunt.

We hiked in opening morning with the intentions of setting up above them before they could get to there beds, but we could only locate the doe's. They are already starting to showing rutting activity. Saturday morning we were back again, but this time we found no deer at all. I thought they might have moved to the next bowl, but just couldn't relocate them. Sunday morning we awoke to wind that was crazy. The wind gusted all day so we did a little exploring to hopefully find some other deer, but no luck.

This morning was a brisk 24 degree's when we headed out. It was really cold, but this kept the deer out a little longer this morning. I located two deer just as the sun came up, the only problem was we only had about seven juniper tree's between us and the deer. We tried a different tactic this time and started our slow stalk like we were archery hunting. We had to cover about 3/4 of a mile to get within range. There was a low spot on the edge of this range so we worked our way closer to the deer in the depression. We finally got to the point where we could see the deer and the wind did a complete 180 on us and the deer got nervous.

There were two good bucks in this group, but we could only see the 3x3. He gave me a 270 yard shot, but the grass was so high, I couldn't get me tripod high enough for a rest. I was going to shoot him offhand, but a doe moved in behind him. At this point we had our guns set up on our tripod's. He was using the Rifle Railz on his bolt action, and I had the LOC JAW on my AR. The deer slowly started moving up the ridge. I stopped a forky, but my son couldn't get on him. I kept watching for the other bucks then all of the sudden I hear "boom" and then the sound of a hit deer. I got back in my scope hoping one of the other bucks would show themselves and saw my sons buck tip over.

The grass was so tall in the area my son had fully extended his tripod and center post to make the shot. He made a great standing 250 yard one shot kill. He is shooting a .243 with Hornady super performance 95 grain sst. The bullet blew out the heart and split the lungs. We found the bullet lodged under the skin on the opposite side. I'm very impressed with this bullet.

I absolutely love hunting with him and I get even more enjoyment out of these hunts when he is successful. We're headed back up next weekend to see if I can make it happen, but I'm already successful in my book. During our hunt we also glassed at least 50-60 antelope, 3 javelina, and a truck load of coyotes. David

post-561-0-52338100-1415074976_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-72687300-1415075099_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-79051200-1415075238_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

What a great hunt I hope you can fill your tag over the next weekend, congrats to your son that's some good shooting.

Sounds like an awesome hunt! Congrats to your boy and good luck to you. Hope you put down a big one!

Congrats to your son that is a great Buck!

Great story and pics! Congrats to your son on a nice buck and best of success this weekend!

Great shot. Congrats to your son. Good luck on the rest of your hunt.

There is nothing quite like hunting with your son. To put a little twist on a songs lyrics, "and he thinks we're just hunting". Congratulations.