Sign in to follow this  
Couesnut

36C Border Bandits

I have the early Dec tag .... How has the IA, bandit, BP activity been on the early hunts ?? Haven't been in the unit for a few years. What's the conditions?? Work / Life has kept me from scouting, so just going into the old faithfuls.

I was in 36C for 3 days on the early hunt. I saw one other person, another hunter, the whole time and that was it. I didn't see any uda's or any border patrol, not even a border patrol vehicle.

Spent a lot of time in 36 B/C. As a general rule, the IA stick to the lowlands. The traffic ebbs and flows. The drug mules seem to prefer the high rugged mountains. They hole up during the day and travel hard by night - but I have seen them all hours of the day. Drug mule activity seems to cycle with the moon phases. I tend to see more during the full moon. They seem to move in groups - kinda like a blitz. They all go at once, betting on the come that Border Patrol won't get them all and that some will slip through. Just keep your eyes open and you will be fine. here's a pic of a drug bust I participated in down in 36C a few years back.

post-4651-0-78936300-1415942465_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Guest akaspecials

Spent a lot of time in 36 B/C. As a general rule, the IA stick to the lowlands. The traffic ebbs and flows. The drug mules seem to prefer the high rugged mountains. They hole up during the day and travel hard by night - but I have seen them all hours of the day. Drug mule activity seems to cycle with the moon phases. I tend to see more during the full moon. They seem to move in groups - kinda like a blitz. They all go at once, betting on the come that Border Patrol won't get them all and that some will slip through. Just keep your eyes open and you will be fine. here's a pic of a drug bust I participated in down in 36C a few years back.

attachicon.gifIMG_0057.jpg

Not sure if posting your pic with someone's drugs is a great idea. You cost someone thousands of dollars.... I would keep a lower profile if I participated in a bust....

Not sure about 36C but we had a lot of activity in 35B this year. Right at day break we heard an automatic go off on a few 5 second spurts. Thought it was odd but went on with our glassing. We moved areas after not seeing a single deer. Get to the edge of a canyon and a BP chopper comes through and pulls up 20 yards away facing us. We knew it was a matter of time till a BP vehicle showed up so we walked back to the truck and sure enough there he was. He told us they already recovered 9 bails at 450 pounds in the first few hours of light. That evening busted another 500 pounds. He said it's their harvest season which I always thought was year round. Anyways that was 35B, good luck on your hunt!

Just got back from there. In the 4 days we didn't see UDA's or have any issues. We did find several Mexican coke bottles and juice bottles thrown on the road during the night. They must have walked right by our camp during the night. They didn't bother anything. We always left a few water bottles and snacks in camp just in case so they wouldn't dig through things. Didn't even have BP around until the last morning. Then 2 separate trucks roll by. We were only 7 miles from the border. Keep your eyes open but don't let it stop you. Enjoy your hunt.

. We always left a few water bottles and snacks in camp just in case so they wouldn't dig through things.

So you are aiding and abetting the illegals?

. We always left a few water bottles and snacks in camp just in case so they wouldn't dig through things.

Trying to keep them from rooting around trying to find things.

Trying to keep them from rooting around trying to find things.
Not a bad idea. We always leave our coolers in the back of the truck so nobody busts the window to get to them. I'd rather they take what they need than break into the vehicle hoping to find something.
  • Like 1

They have broke into our truck in 36a couple years back. Took bread, peanut butter, and my trail running shoes. When I go out these days, I leave water on the windshield and try to guide everything else out of sight.

• Like 1

I've camped down there three times but have not had any instances. Just be smart about and stay out of the thick stuff where they layup.