Sign in to follow this  
jgraffaz

zero my rife and using turrets

I have a late bull elk hunt and I need to be good out to about 500 yards, I have a 300win mag with a vortex viper;my scope has turets and ffp. If I zero my scope at 200 how do I know how many clicks to use at 300, 400, 500?!? Please help!

Google ballistic calculator and input your information. That will give you a starting point, but you still have to shoot to make sure it's accurate to your specified load.

Strelok on android works good and hornady has one on their website as well

• Like 4

I have a late bull elk hunt and I need to be good out to about 500 yards, I have a 300win mag with a vortex viper;my scope has turets and ffp. If I zero my scope at 200 how do I know how many clicks to use at 300, 400, 500?!? Please help!

you SHOOT it

That tends to help you see what size groups you're getting out there too. Based on what I see at the range, not many have any business shooting at 200 let alone 500. 1" per 100 yards of distance is the max 5 shot group size I would accept. That would be 5" @ 500.

• Like 3

download the SHOOTER app on your phone...$9.99

^ This. Awesome app. Also Strelok Pro. Free Strelok should work out to 500 easy. I have all three on my phone. I use Shooter the most, and seems to be the most consistent for me.

But NOTHING beats shooting your own gun and learning your own dope. Remember on the apps, garbage in, garbage out. If you don't input all of the correct info, you will not get correct drops.

^ This. Awesome app. Also Strelok Pro. Free Strelok should work out to 500 easy. I have all three on my phone. I use Shooter the most, and seems to be the most consistent for me.But NOTHING beats shooting your own gun and learning your own dope. Remember on the apps, garbage in, garbage out. If you don't input all of the correct info, you will not get correct drops.

^ This. Awesome app. Also Strelok Pro. Free Strelok should work out to 500 easy. I have all three on my phone. I use Shooter the most, and seems to be the most consistent for me.But NOTHING beats shooting your own gun and learning your own dope. Remember on the apps, garbage in, garbage out. If you don't input all of the correct info, you will not get correct drops.
Well if my elivation down hear is 2000ft and up in the hills 5000 will throw things off?

I have the exact same scope but on a 7mm I just started getting sighted in for the first time Monday. This was my procedure: bore sighted, shot at 24.5 yards, set zero at 100 yards, used ballistics calculator to approximate 200, shot 200, made final adjustments for 200 (which was very close to what the calculator gave me) and do that for 300-100000000000000. This is my first time ever shooting a scope with turrets so not sure if that's the best way to go about it but I was finishing the day off with 1 1/2"groups at 400 which I still need to work on! Good luck

Not trying to be rude, but If you are just now trying to get this to work you are too late. Zero it for 200 and get within 300 yards. Try again next year. Sorry, you can't just look it up on the web and start shooting at living things. You did not even say what your MV or bullet BC is.

• Like 9

2000 to 5000 elevation will make a big difference. So will temperature changes, barometric pressure (will change with elevation AND weather fronts), humidity, powder temps, etc. All that info will need to be put into the ballistics program. Out to 500 yards, you will see a difference up to 14" or more depending on conditions. I just was PMing a guy with some of the differences and what to expect fro changes in drop. You would not believe how much of a difference conditions can make at extended ranges. Same bullet and gun combo at 1500 yards can be as much as 48', yes 48 FEET, or more difference in drop. 1000 yards as much as 11' too, and that is in a flat shooting cartridge.

What bullets (brand, weight, etc.), velocity, etc. are you shooting? I am sure a lot of guys here can get you close.

DesertBull has a very valid point. A lot of guys (and girls), myself included, shoot year round at long ranges to help during the hunting season. A 500 yard shot is not a close attempt to make on a living animal when you are not used to it. Most rifles are very capable of making the shot. A lot of shooters are not. 3 weeks prior to a hunt is not the time to start practicing and sighting in a rifle.

• Like 2

Based on your apparent lack of knowledge you need to stay under 300yds. Give the Elk a break rather than wounding one.

• Like 2

If the elavation is different how will I know?

Use an Altimeter

Guest 300ultramag.

zero it at 500. :P

. your whole rig shoot different in 27 elevation and temps... I agree on closing that gap