Sign in to follow this  
jgraffaz

zero my rife and using turrets

Howdy welcome to long range shooting. Right before the hunt is probable not the best time to start shooting at distances farther than you are comfortable with, it takes some time and understanding and alot of practice to consistently range and shoot at farther distances, in actual field conditions. If you have time read up on it and watch some videos ( gunwerks has some good ones on there website ) Learn to use a ballistics calculator and practice practice practice. If there is not enough time before your hunt I would probably sight your gun in for 250 yards and limit your shots to 300 max. I hope you have a fun and successful hunt.

I have a late bull elk hunt and I need to be good out to about 500 yards, I have a 300win mag with a vortex viper;my scope has turets and ffp. If I zero my scope at 200 how do I know how many clicks to use at 300, 400, 500?!? Please help!

you SHOOT it

That tends to help you see what size groups you're getting out there too. Based on what I see at the range, not many have any business shooting at 200 let alone 500. 1" per 100 yards of distance is the max 5 shot group size I would accept. That would be 5" @ 500.

That's very true but with out those guys we wouldn't find all the dead heads lol in shed season

• Like 1

G7 has a very good ballistic program. http://www.gseven.com/ballistic-program However you owe it to yourself and the elk or any game animal to ground proof the ballistic solutions in order to make ethical long range shots. Shoot at 3 distances beyond 200 yards(depending on your max anticipated distance) after your zeroing session. Then plug the results into the program. If you don't you will never be 100% certain where your bullet will be at any distance beyond your zero. Just my 2 cents.

Well for every one that said I couldn't do it and I didn't have time and what not your wrong, it was a pain in the a$$ but I got it down and at 500 yards with my hornedy 180gr SST I have been consisstantly shooting 6 rounds in a 7 inch group at 500yards....that's a dead elk(: