STOMP442

Vortex Optics: A Question

Guest 300ultramag.

A company that backs their product is priceless. In my opinion.

Are there better products out there? Yes but you will pay for them. I think vortex fits a good niche for the majority of diy hunters that don't want to break the bank. I give them a thumbs up across the board.

• Like 3

Guest 300ultramag.

A company that backs their product is priceless. In my opinion.

Are there better products out there? Yes but you will pay for them. I think vortex fits a good niche for the majority of diy hunters that don't want to break the bank. I give them a thumbs up across the board.

He thinks so much about Vortex he posts it twice!

I also agree it fits a great niche. The mid range riflescope/binocular person.

The new Razor Gen II line is getting RAVE reviews too, but that is nowhere near the midrange price point.

I have never had any issues with my viper hd's. Planning on getting a scope from vortex in the future as well.

I have two Vortex scopes and two pairs of binos. Never had a problem with the scopes on my rifles. One on a 30.06 and the other on a .308 without problems for over 5 years.

I have three viper scopes from the base viper to the pst and have had zero problems. I have a pair of the 12x50 HD's and love them, also an older skyline spoter with zero problems. I have the ranger 1000 range finder with zero problems. I have a couple friends that have had the exact opposite though with both rifle scopes and the range finders so I'm not 100% sure where I stand. For my experience I've been 100% satisfied but also seen my friends get so frustrated with theirs they got rid of all of their vortex stuff and never looked back. The lack of consistency is definitely something to consider when I need to make my next purchase and think it is worth noting.

• Like 1

I've bought a lot of Vortex products for my sons because I know they are hard on gear. Overall, I've found the optics to be very good for the price. And when/if an issue arises, their customer service is second to none. From eyecups being twisted off, to those rubber objective covers that Swaro, etc. wants $15 - $20 to replace, Vortex fixes it all for free.

I haven't tried their higher end rifle scopes yet. I agree, when I do invest that kind of money, I don't want to have to send it in for repair or replacement. I just want it to work. But it is nice to know, if you do have a problem, they'll take care of it.

• Like 1

Just wondering what you guys would suggest as alternates to a vortex scope line in the $500-1000 range? Doesn't seem to much else out there w tactical turrets and enough elevation to be useful.

Leupold vxIIs and vxIIIs are way better optics for the money and have just as good of warranty.

• Like 2

Leupold vxIIs and vxIIIs are way better optics for the money and have just as good of warranty.

+1

SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP. About $700 new. Amazing scope for the money. Warranty is every bit as good as Vortex, but people hardly ever need it!!!

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

Or look for a used SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 FFP ($. I have one, and it is leaps and bounds better than my Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR. A used SWFA is still covered by the lifetime warranty. I got mine for $1K used. Awesome scope.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx

I too have had the PST line and was not to happy to find out I had lens loose, parralax issues, and tracking issues. I have since changed to all Sightron SIII products and can tell you the SIII line has over 100 moa of adjustment, clarity is to die for, and perfect tracking while maintaining lightweight design and affordable VERY AFFORDABLE. Check them out you will NOT be disappointed. I actually sold both of my 2000.00 Valdada scopes so I could buy these Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP/LRMOA

IMO a product selling point should never be about the warranty. The best warranty is the one you never have to use. Vortex is all about their warranty to me that tells me you will have problems.

• Like 2

An interesting read. I have not heard much negative about Vortex until now. Personally I like the VX3 and VX4 from Leupold, but these would be considered in a different price point than most Vortex scopes. I also think the Nightforce are great scopes as well.

Phew.. I thought I was the only one who did not like the taste of the Vortex kool-aid. Having a fantastic warranty is great!!!, problem is, you WILL have to use it. Let's just hope it is not during a hunt of a lifetime.