Sign in to follow this  
MuggyMan

5B North and South

I have late season bull tag 5B N&S. Talked to lots who hunted north in early archery. Haven't heard from anyone who hunted the south unit this year. I was wondering if anyone here had any of the early hunts in 5BS? Anyone close the deal? What was the rut like in 5BS? Interested in hearing anything anyone cares to share. In the forum or pm. Thanks

Darrell

The rut in 5BS is like the others, pretty much over.

That is about my extent of knowledge for 5BS. Although I know a ton of regular BS....

• Like 2

I hunted this unit a few times archery and a rifle bull. It depends on weather during rifle hunt. Archery is like all the other a week or 2 to early most of the time. I am going up Sunday to take look around. For my son and I have a rifle bull tag this year too.Took me 25 years to get a rifle bull tag and I got lucky to draw 2 in 3 years. More bulls on the north side but harder to hunt. The south side lots of cows and lots of people. Me I hunt were most won't. 2 years ago I seen 9 bulls and 2 cows. I was on both ends of the unit and drove over 1000 miles in a week. I got a nice 320 bull on the second to last day. On the south side hunt near the canyon. North side is tough to hunt. The burn area can be good all depends on weather. I will be up their on Thanksgiving day. Pm me and may be we can talk a little more. Its all good area. If you hunt the east side of the unit there is less pressure and people, but less elk. It's your call. That is what I know about this unit hope this will help.

Aside from the uu bar ranch, I have never been in more elk than on my 5bs late rifle hunt. Stay away from diablo canyon and long lake, hunt the eastern portion of 5bs and you WILL be into bulls! Get up high on mountains and hills and look down. They are always bedded during the day on mountain slopes and hills!!!!

• Like 2

Aside from the uu bar ranch, I have never been in more elk than on my 5bs late rifle hunt. Stay away from diablo canyon and long lake, hunt the eastern portion of 5bs and you WILL be into bulls! Get up high on mountains and hills and look down. They are always bedded during the day on mountain slopes and hills!!!!

Any special reason why to stay away from long lake and diablo canyon?

Just got back from scouting 5BS for my dad's late season rifle hunt. We have hunted 5BN before but never 5BS. Saw a few bulls and cows, and sign everywhere. The weather can change and make everything a muddy mess in the late season. Not as much glassing ability in the South from what I have seen. There is water everywhere and almost all of the tanks are full if not overflowing.

I don't really know what kind of strategy to go after this year and would love to talk to some others about it. It's my dad's 60th this year and he has never gotten an elk in az. It would be great if I could help him find one. I don't think he can handle hiking miles and miles through the terrain anymore, but he's also is not the road hunter type. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm open to telling what I know of the unit and buying beers for other good info. Good luck to everyone, should be a great year!

• Like 1

Yeah it is all of 5B. Just from what I have read and heard, sounds like there is more opportunity to get an animal in 5BS. N can get really nasty with the weather, and we fought the worst of it a few years back. 6 inches of mud on your boots, too much mud for quads, etc. I'm all about the hard hunts and the miles, but I don't think my dad can hang with that anymore. Hence, why I have been scouting S. He is also not looking for a trophy, just meat in the freezer.

Any special reason why to stay away from long lake and diablo canyon?

Stay away from diablo canyon and long lake

Why?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've scouted both sides and seen elk in both. Planning on hunting all over the unit if I have to. Like "borntohunt" said, ready to cover a lot of territory. I'm headed up a week before the hunt to scout and see what I can find. Good luck and hope everyone gets it done.

@muggyman, I meant hunt the western side, not sure why I said east, and long lake/diablo canyon are very thick junipers for the most part and it's flat and loaded with hunters, don't get me wrong these areas have elk but go west for a better hunt.

If you want more precise spots pm me I'll be happy to share a few good spots just not willing to give em away to any e scouter who pulls up this forum.