Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Metate Found

Very cool! I have found two during my journey's.

• Like 1

Do these vary in sizes/shape? Last Feb on our Pig hunt in 36a I found two of what I thought to be metates not too far from our camp. They were on the base of a small hill side. Only thing was these one were maybe 4" wide and maybe 2" deep. So they were more "hole" type. So I wasn't sure if they were metates or not?

Do these vary in sizes/shape? Last Feb on our Pig hunt in 36a I found two of what I thought to be metates not too far from our camp. They were on the base of a small hill side. Only thing was these one were maybe 4" wide and maybe 2" deep. So they were more "hole" type. So I wasn't sure if they were metates or not?

A Metate is the "base" section and a "Mano" is the hand-held part, they can seen in different sizes...

The round hole type of metates were used to shell and grind acorns, grass seeds, etc and are usally found in large boulders/bed-rock...

The more common type seen are the ones that are "portable", flat stone with one(or both sides) deeply worn, rectangle shaped, used more for corn and grain grinding...

The ones I found were on a bed-rock on the base of a hill side. I figured that's what they were just by looking at it, even though I've never seen any of that shape. I remember growing up my Grandmother had a metate just as you decribed above ^^^ that was passed down from her great grandmother. She never used it, just something she had on display in the house.

I have a hunting spot with at least 20 around the area. Both the wide flat ones, and the small round ones. Plus a ton of petroglyphs. Amazing to see things from the past that no one has messed with. The limited amount of people who know this spot have respected it.

The round ones are called mortars. Glad I found mine on private property.

The round ones are called mortars. Glad I found mine on private property.