Sign in to follow this  
200"mulie

Action question

i bought a .270 model 70 short action 1 pc Boyd's stock that it ... I'm hoping to buy a Bartlein barrel to put on it soon.

Now what kind of action and where to start looking for one.

Trying to build .270 WSM .. long story short I bought the wrong stock last year (needed the slip in stock not the one piece) But now looking to build a gun.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew aka 200"mulie

If you bought a stock to fit a Winchester Model 70 action...why not just buy a Winchester Model 70 short action? Either find a used gun and just use the action (I have done this twice with Rem 700s), or order a new action.

Pawn shops are your friend if you are going this route. Doesn't matter the condition of the gun as long as the action is good, and the bolt face matched what you want to build. You can even order another bolt with different face if needed. They run about $190 from PTG.

I bought a beat up .30-06 with a 20" rusted barrel and beat down wood stock for $200 just for the action (new actions are $450+), and built my .25-06 Ackley off of it. Tossed the barrel and stock after disassembly.

If you bought a stock to fit a Winchester Model 70 action...why not just buy a Winchester Model 70 short action? Either find a used gun and just use the action (I have done this twice with Rem 700s), or order a new action.

Pawn shops are your friend if you are going this route. Doesn't matter the condition of the gun as long as the action is good, and the bolt face matched what you want to build. You can even order another bolt with different face if needed. They run about $190 from PTG.

I bought a beat up .30-06 with a 20" rusted barrel and beat down wood stock for $200 just for the action (new actions are $450+), and built my .25-06 Ackley off of it. Tossed the barrel and stock after disassembly.

You can bush the bolt face to change caliber. No need to buy a new bolt. If your gunsmith cant do thos you need a new one call me!

thanks for the replies fellas ... i was just trying to build a new .270 WSM (Winchester short mag) I'll keep the pawn shops in mind.