Sign in to follow this  
no worries

Unit 33 scouting on Veteran's Day

First of all a big thank you to all the veterans out there.

I took my kids out scouting last Tuesday for the youth hunt that's coming up and I was absolutely amazed at how many campsites we saw between Peppersauce and the San Man junction. It seemed like every pullout had multiple vehicles and camps set up.

Is this pretty much normal? Haven't hunted 33 before and I'm a little worried that hunting pressure has really taken its toll. Is there a general rule of thumb as far as deer moving higher or lower when they are pressured ?? Do they stay put and lay low ??

Also wiuld love to hear from hunters who were out there about what they were seeing.

As always thanks for any replies. Jim

Whitetails will stay in their core area despite pressure but they will go nocturnal really fast once once disturbed.

I agree with AZLance, also to many tags and to many hunts in that unit. Game & Fish is going to wipe out the deer population.

• Like 1

33 was a hard hunt this year n I agree too many tags for whitetail and mule deer need to leave the unit alone for awhile n let it come back. Also agree ain't right for the youth hunt to be after 3 regular hunts deer have gotten a lot of pressure hope everyone's kids like to walk. Good luck on your boys hunt.

I have talked with other G and F people about the this. The commissioners are not going to lower the tags. $. What i would like to see is any deer for the youth hunt. 100 tags is not going decimate the population but certainly in 36B and 36 A taking a few mule deer does wouldn't be bad.

• Like 1

yeah normal during hunting season ... limited access and lots of tags .. everyone camps on top of eachother

I was out there this past weekend for my fathers muzzleloader tag, and i also have the jr hunt for this weekend. I will tell you that the coues deer are getting pushed farther and farther from the roads, and are becoming somewhat nocturnal. But hopefully this colder weather will keep the deer out more. we had trouble finding bucks anytime just before dark. On Sunday, when it was cloudy the deer were moving a lot more. I also saw a buck chasing does like it was the rut, so keep an eye out and dont quit glassing at 10AM. and dont be afraid to look in areas that dont look right because you might find a good pocket as we did. Everyone knows that 33 holds huge deer, you just have to find them.

On another note, I am thankful they let us shoot any buck, but any deer is just ridiculous. there is very little meat on a doe from southern az and it will mean more to a kid to wait and shoot a buck rather some little doe. JMHO

I think they should do a mature doe hunt for juniors only not sure about 100 tags but a few would be nice. Seen a lot of old does that wouldn't let the younger does get near him. There's just as much meat on a doe as a buck and hunting back east kids don't care buck or doe all about time with family and always get excited explaining the hunt.

My two boys have youth hunt tags for 33 as well. Good luck to all the kiddos this week!

TO ALL THE KIDDOS THIS WEEK.....my hunt starts right after you guys in 33. I'm jealous that you guys get to go before me. Don't get em all, save one for me.
  • Like 1