Sign in to follow this  
Basser15

Straight vs Angled eye piece

I prefer the angled myself. Its more comfortable than the straight. Try both out and find what fits you better. The straight gave me a lot of neck aches especially when looking upward.

If your going to be using binos as primary, and SS as secondary. Go straight. If you spot something you want to look at through the binos, you have to adjust the tripod each time you switch back and forth. Don't know which would be best with the camera.

The angled is steadier and easier to use with a camera but as mentioned you have to adjust your tripod if you switch from binos to spotter

For my style of glassing (sitting / leaning against something in the shade) I prefer the angled. I can get very comfortable in the head slightly down relaxed position.

The one advantage IMO of a straight is the speed at which you can setup and find your target. It seems easier to point and find something way out there. The angled takes a second longer but more comfortable when glassing. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

I prefer straight. I only use my scope to determine the size/ sex of my found animal. It is quick and easy to take your bino's off of the tripod and put the straight scope on and still be close to on target. With an angled, you will have to adjust your tripod lower. It is all preference. I also think the straight scopes pack easier in long pockets. Looking downhill with an angled scope can be tricky as well. Some angled scopes allow you to turn it, and this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the comments. I will be mainly glassing with my 15's and the using the spotter for a closer look and use my phoneskope on. Has anyone had any issues using the digiscoping devices on a straight eye piece?

Personally I prefer straight for hunting as it is much easier to locate a specific point to look at. I agree with other posters who feel it makes switching between bino's and the scope easier as well. Shots that require switching from the scope that you found the critter with to the bino's to range and then the rifle scope are easier for me if all involve looking straight at the target through all three sets of optics.

My angled scope has a place to mount an exterior site. Like open iron sights on a rifle. I can line it up with the sight pretty close then find it fast in the glass

I have an angled one now and miss the straight for quick target acquisition and for going back and forth with the binos. However, the angled is an advantage for long term viewing and for some reason seems to be easier to let others look through. I guess itis easier to bend your neck than to crouch behind a straight scope.

I spend less than 5% of my time behind a spotter, usually just to judge a buck or bull quickly and decide if shooter or not...I prefer straight for quick acquisition... especially in MX. I'm taking it off and putting it on frequently..

• Like 2