Zeke-BE

15 years of no harvest

post-12761-0-44909100-1416373155_thumb.jpg

Last time I bagged a deer was a couse when I was 17. Now that I'm 32 I've had a 15 year dry spell. In that time I've had 8 years of missing the hunt. I had 2 years living out of state, 2 years of barely missing the draw, a mistake on 1 application , and on the down turn of the economy I was building a house and the bank went bankrupt and left me 70 grand owing my contractors. So I spent 2 years (which overlapped 3 hunting seasons) working every minute of my life to pay these guys back. The good news I got debt free :) The other 7 years involved me focusing on my hunt to get my brother his first deer, missing a 90 inch whitetail, and just plain owe got skunked during those hunts. So this is my first mule deer and I took him because we'll he was the only buck I saw in 3 days and I had to make it back to work the next day. He ended up being 250 yard with a .270 tikka loaded with accurbond. But my luck started changing when I bought the Vortex tripod. This August I used it on my antelope hunt in New Mexico and shot off the top of it. And for this little guy I got down for a prone shot and the grass was to high so I crawled back and got my tripod and rested on top of that and dropped him. So I found my lucky charm. Maybe next year the next one will be a few inches bigger :)post-12761-0-60568500-1416373188_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The pictures came up sideways and I don't know why

That's great that you were able to continue your efforts and harvest some game congrats

Congrats on the buck! Bigger congrats on living up to your commitments and paying off that debt.

Hard work pays dividends, props to you.

• Like 6

That's gonna be the best 17 year steak you've ever had, and probably the only 17 year steak. So enjoy it with a nice cold beer or wine, which ever you prefer. Congrats.

• Like 1

Congrats on some of your streak busting!

As a sub, I must say the part of your story paying your subs back after going under really hits home. It's commendable and I've met people over the years (23 yrs in the drywall trade) that didn't live up to their contracts at my expense, so kudos for that.

• Like 2

Congratulations on sticking with your commitments, turning things around and making it right. Awesome that you were able to end that awful dry spell of no hunting success. That is going to be a very tasty steak! Congratulations!

• Like 1

Congrats!!! Must feel good to be debt free... :) Congrats on the deer as well...

I always had a different idea in my head of what a "slump buster" was.

Congrats on the buck. I see some good eating in your near future.

• Like 2

I always had a different idea in my head of what a "slump buster" was.

Meet me at denim and diamonds later bro, ladies night. slump busters galore!

Nice deer OP, bet you can't wait till next year. Sometimes you just gotta get the kill out.

• Like 1

Congrats man! Hopefully, your luck has changed!