Sign in to follow this  
peckl1

Illinois hunt

I arrived today for my Illinois whitetail hunt. Met the farmer this afternoon and one of my partners on the lease is meeting me tonight for the hunt in the morning. He has been watching the farm and has seen some really big deer. Can't wait till morning.

Lee

• Like 1

Only saw does and fawns in 32 for my mule deer hunt. Today we only saw does. Cold in Illinois 2 degrees this morning.

Yesterday was a great day. We got in a ground blind just off a bean field about 30 minutes before shooting light. At 20 minutes before shooting light I hand my hunting partner my 15X56 swarovski's. Earlier he asked me why I needed them. I said check out how they handle low light. He starts scanning across the field. He says I got a deer, small buck not a shooter. Wait right behind him is a big buck! They are feeding into the field. Time went ridiculously slow. At 5 minutes before light they were at 110 yards right in front of us. I got ready. Then at shooting light they were at 90 yards. I settled the cross hairs just behind the shoulder. Scott says give it 1 more minute. They were calm both heads down. The small buck raised his head and we confirmed which was the big buck. Scott says O BANG K. The big buck never raised his head again.

post-88-0-29509800-1416797604_thumb.jpgpost-88-0-63774300-1416797649_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I spent 6 days in Southern Illinois for the archery hunt and came home right before the gun opener... That is one heck of a deer you harvested sir. Easy for us desert dwellers to think there is one like that in every Bean or Corn field back there but it's not that easy. Congrats to you on a tremendous deer.

Thanks for the comments here are some more pics. I met some great folks on this trip. They scored him for me. 155 gross, 152 net. I'm not much for numbers. I just think it is a great looking buck and lucky to have taken him.

post-88-0-67372900-1416853807_thumb.jpgpost-88-0-52342300-1416853883_thumb.jpgpost-88-0-45995600-1416853959_thumb.jpgpost-88-0-16247300-1416854057_thumb.jpg