Sign in to follow this  
BackwoodsHunter

WTB Bivy

I call them a bear burritos. But, I got rid of mine when I stopped climbing There's a cot tent on Prescott Craigslist for 170$.

Guest akaspecials

Don't be a pussy Ian, buy a tarp at Walmart and you'll be fine! Otherwise you're welcome to my backpacking tent of you want to carry it in. I'll be chilling in my hammock as long as a cold front doesn't move in.

"It's a sort of tent/sleeping bag used for backpacking " ........Thank you. I helped a retired Australian hunting outfitter prepare his memoirs for a publisher recently, and he used "bivy" to describe what we would call a "campsite" up here. It was the first time I had heard the word, and your using it makes me wonder about its origin. It is not in my on-line dictionary........Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Short for bivouac.

biv·ou·ac

ˈbivo͞oˌak/

noun

a temporary camp without tents or cover, used especially by soldiers or mountaineers.

I became quite familiar with the term during my time in the army.
  • Like 1

Not trying to talk anyone out of the idea of a bivy but I'll share a quick thought. I got stuck in some nasty weather while on a deer hunt two years ago while sleeping in a bivy. Problem I had is you can't open the bivy for anything without getting you sleeping bag soaked while in bad weather. And since there generally is no room in a bivy to keep your pack, you have to consider your pack possibly getting drenched and not having access to anything until the weather breaks. Lastly, the "waterproof" bivy's sold at REI are not necessarily waterproof. For me personally, I'll carry the extra 2lbs and take a small backpacking tent. Just my two cents....

(You can always buy whatever you desire at REI, use it for a season, and return it if you don't like it...no questions asked)

• Like 1

Not trying to talk anyone out of the idea of a bivy but I'll share a quick thought. I got stuck in some nasty weather while on a deer hunt two years ago while sleeping in a bivy. Problem I had is you can't open the bivy for anything without getting you sleeping bag soaked while in bad weather. And since there generally is no room in a bivy to keep your pack, you have to consider your pack possibly getting drenched and not having access to anything until the weather breaks. Lastly, the "waterproof" bivy's sold at REI are not necessarily waterproof. For me personally, I'll carry the extra 2lbs and take a small backpacking tent. Just my two cents....

(You can always buy whatever you desire at REI, use it for a season, and return it if you don't like it...no questions asked)

This is what I always do. Like you said, I'll pack the extra 2-3 lb to have all the space to put my gear in the tent with me, room to change, sit up in my sleeping bag, etc.