Subjective answer to a subjective question. IMO, it varies between species, geographic region/elevation, and unknown weather patterns. I'd bet the rut has slowly started and will peak sometime between Dec 15 and Jan 15. No reason it will be any earlier or later than average.

My guess is with the cold snap in the next few days. It will be just enough to get the ball rolling.

• Like 1

My guess is with the cold snap in the next few days. It will be just enough to get the ball rolling.

I hope so. It was pretty warm in 32 last week and I didn't see a single buck in five days of scouting and hunting. That will leave me this coming weekend to get something for the freezer.

I saw three does on Wednesday and a doe and fawn came to within about 15 yards of me yesterday about 10:30 and I only heard two shots, both yesterday morning a few minutes apart from the same location.

Subjective answer to a subjective question. IMO, it varies between species, geographic region/elevation, and unknown weather patterns. I'd bet the rut has slowly started and will peak sometime between Dec 15 and Jan 15. No reason it will be any earlier or later than average.

I like those dates because I have a 3 day weekend and a week vacation in that time frame

This last Saturday in one of the border units I watched a 2x2 and 3x3 spar for a little while in the morning, then in the afternoon on the other side of the unit I watched another 3x3 chase two does around and lip curl a few times.

I hope it is whenever I am in the mountains, hahaha.

• Like 3

Cold front might get them going. But then again last year we had that cold then it got warm again. Then finally got cold again. So they were kind of an odd cycle last year. And of course all depends on which unit!

What's the word? Anybody seeing any rutting activity yet?

Last year we were hunting south on the ten on the thanksgiving hunt and has the snow and cold but no pre rut. Same hunt this year, saw 9 bucks, small to decent an none were with does. Buck I killed was fat and swollen but running with two other bigger bucks. Maybe the Saturday storm will get them going. Maybe??

Thoes are some cool pics talk about right place at right time are they through a spotter?

spotter and cell phone, and if he woulda had ten more inches.... he'd have felt the suck.

I seen a buck checking does and pushing a smaller buck off this evening. It is getting close......I still think it wont get nuts till right around Christmas like years past. I will be out there hunting with my bow and will let you know..........