Jimmyc

My 2014 white tail mutant

My thanksgiving was spent loading my trailer and all my gear for 36b. Spoke to my buddy Will and he headed down Thursday night. First thing we glass up the bucks I spotted while scouting. But they were up high on the mountain. After an hour of feeding they crossed over. Will had to leave at noon so I hunted with father in law. Glass up two bucks way at the top of another mountain. Attempted a stock but didn't see the hunter on the hill with the bucks. He didn't see the bucks and they spooked when he stood up. I don't think they have stopped running. Saturday morning rolls around and my buddy Scott rolls down to help. First light we see the same two bucks. And guess what???? They were up high and crossed over. We went back at 2pm to see if we can see them come back over. NOPE! But Scott glasses up a "coyote". I turn and say "coyote???????" It's an efffing mountain lion!!!!!!! I took a long poke at it from 511. Shot to the left. So he beds under a tree. See picture. Missed him there too. Watched him for 30 min. That was pretty darn exciting. I've been wanting to see one for a long time. So Sunday rolls around same thing with the same bucks. So Monday I'm solo and I decide I'm getting half way up that mountain in the morning. When I get there, the bucks are there!!! I pick out the larger body one and let the .270WSM eat. He limps away, and turn another one loose. Thought I missed. Found out later I didn't. I pierced his ear. Then he stops on top of this ridge. I smoked him on the third one. He fell about 25 feet and broke off his right side. I was bummed when I couldn't find it. Here's my mutant 2014 white tail buck.

post-6087-0-37687500-1417489220_thumb.jpg

post-6087-0-94961100-1417489286_thumb.jpg

post-6087-0-55329800-1417489313_thumb.jpg

post-6087-0-50796600-1417523629_thumb.jpg

post-6087-0-11958100-1417710765_thumb.jpg

post-6087-0-94665300-1417710781_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats on a very cool buck! I would go back and spend a couple days trying to find that right side, maybe you can find someone with a dog that finds antlers? was the broken side as whacky as the other?

You can just cut one of them left beams off and glue it to the right side. It'd still be a weirdo with one less left main beam!

Good job on getting it done. Going it solo ain't fun in the process but sure feels rewarding in hind site.

Congrats on a very cool buck! I would go back and spend a couple days trying to find that right side, maybe you can find someone with a dog that finds antlers? was the broken side as whacky as the other?

Na. The right side had a big fork.

• Like 1

Really unique buck! Agreed, go find the broken side! Awesome at any rate, neat about the lion, too bad you couldn't connect on it. Congrats on the success and great hunt!

I forgot to put in the story I spent about an hour hiking up and down the mountain side searching for the broken antler. I found a small piece about 2" long that you can clearly see it forks. The angle of the mountain side had to be close to 75 degrees. I looked and looked. And couldn't find more than that small piece.

Very nice. Congrats on your buck. Personally non typically are awesome. Great write up