Sign in to follow this  
sebhunter

My son's great season

I will start off with an introduction my name is Eddy and my son is Samuel he is 13. I have been taking him on hunts since he was 3 years old and haven't missed a year yet. We are new to AZ we have been here for 2 years now. We lived in Colorado for 7 years and will be hunting back there next year. We are originally from NM so we go back and hunt there whenever we can draw tags. We will start off with dove season he was able to take his limit opening day and I got 3 before we ran out of shells! We also found a few deer sheds.

post-13024-0-28678300-1417741206_thumb.jpg

Well 4 weeks before we head to NM he breaks his foot playing football and has to wear a boot/cast for his first two hunts. So we were limited on how much we could walk but made the best of it. He started it off by killing his first barabry sheep which was a ewe, he made a perfect 181 yard shot. We didn't see the nice ram that was bedded between two boulders until after the shot. This was taken in an over the counter unit. We actually glassed to two different herds that morning. I screwed up the stalk on the first group that had a couple of nice rams in it!

post-13024-0-73087600-1417741897_thumb.jpg

post-13024-0-82772200-1417741232_thumb.jpg

Next up was his youth deer hunt we scouted for two days before the hunt started and on the second day of the hunt he decided to take this buck a big forky we had been seeing for a couple of days. He made a perfect 148 yard shot on his buck. This is his 4th mule deer buck.

post-13024-0-87917700-1417741263_thumb.jpg

His next hunt was a youth javelina hunt in 37B this year we were able to hunt for 3 days we glassed up a small herd two days in a row but kept loosing them in the flats! So he didn't tag out but we learned a lot about hunting javelina and the desert.

post-13024-0-68408500-1417741832_thumb.jpg

His last NM hunt was a youth encouragement muzzleloader cow elk hunt over Thanksgiving weekend. We showed up to the unit on opening day around noon. Spent most of the day glassing and right as light was fading we started seeing the herds of cows coming out of the timber to feed. We showed up early the next morning and were able to get between the herds feeding and bedding areas. He made another perfect shot at 95 yards on his cow. She went about 30 yards and crashed in front of us. We had a 1.5 mile pack out for his elk.

post-13024-0-08981700-1417741321_thumb.jpg

post-13024-0-64512800-1417742028_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Banner year for ANY hunter. Great job to the youth for the good year, and the Dad for getting the kid out there!

Congrats! that young man is on a roll.

Wow, that's a lot of success for Samuel! Congratulations to you both and welcome to the site. I'm thinking we'll be seeing more posts from you two!

Super year for your son! Congratulations to him as well as to you for getting him out there and giving him the opportunity to have such a great season!

That's a great year the time you spend with your children in the outdoors especially teaching them to hunt is memories that you both will have for a life time congrats on your great year

Awesome seeing youths out with their parents. And Glassing. Great job and congrats on a successful hunt

Awesome...congrats to Samuel and to you Eddy for getting him out there! My Samuel turns 10 this year and can't wait for his first big game hunt! :D

A HUGE congrats to Samuel. He's taken more game than a lot of old men that hunted for years. Huge Congrats to Eddy for getting his son out there to get it done.