Sign in to follow this  
huntingfool

Coues Hunt 2014

Just got back from a great hunt. My good friend Mike and I met family and friends down in southern AZ for a deer hunt. This was Mike's first coues deer hunt and only his second deer hunt so getting him on a deer was my main goal.

Day 1:

Got up early to drive down to the hunt area, we started hunting ~11am. Glassed some does on this hill:

IMG_20141128_133807893_HDR_zps8koswpxu.j

Naps are an important part of hunting:

IMG_20141128_134043840_zpsg4pynsdb.jpg

Day 2:

My buddy Clark met us for day 2, we did a lot of glassing and a lot of hiking in steep country. We saw ~23 deer if I recall on day 2, at least 3 were bucks but we were unable to get any shots. This was the day Joelblitz tagged out on a fantastic buck though, Story Here.

Day 3:

Day 3 we teamed up with Casey (firstcoueswas80) and his friend Jim. After glassing an area in the morning and seeing 6 bucks, we decided to pull a sneak on two small bucks bedded in a draw full of thick mesquite trees. We snuck over there and the deer were hidden but we figured out where they were bedded and waited for one to stand up at 250 yards. After ~45 minutes the spike stood up and Mike lined up for a shot. First shot missed but he connected on the second. After it was said and done, Mike completed his first successful spot and stalk, and landed his first coues buck:

IMG_20141130_113003100_zpslzsjmxep.jpg

Day 4:

We were glassing early day 4 when Casey spotted a mountain lion. He got set up and took a shot but it was a long poke and that kitty lived to kill another deer. More on that in Casey's write-up likely. Spent the rest of the day in some different country but did not see any bucks this day.

Day 5:

Day 5 was a long, steep hike into a great area. However, we could only find does and a couple small bucks (fork horns). It was getting down to crunch time for me so I wanted to go shoot one of the forks (the easier one to get to) but was pretty easily talked out of it. Would have been a heck of a hike back to the truck for just a fork horn. No more opportunities on Day 5.

Day 6:

This was my last day to hunt. Morning found us glassing a good spot but it was full of does. We moved down the road and after about 20 minutes there the hillside came alive with deer. I don't know if they were anticipating the rain that was to come or what but at about 1130 we started seeing deer up and eating literally all over the place. Sure enough after another half hour Casey found a buck. I was ready to shoot anything so a small 3 point looked great to me. Mike and I pulled a sneak and when I cleared the mesquite tree I wanted to get to the buck was a 400 yards. I dialed up the yardage, got set up prone on my bipod and waited for the buck to clear a tree. He cleared and I busted him. Was holding out for bigger the first 4 days but I am more than happy to have gotten this buck. It's good to have meat in the freezer:

IMG_20141203_123433034_zpsrqbpeuvx.jpg

The new Eberlestock J34 getting a break-in workout:

IMG_20141203_134918691_zps5nfdjagj.jpg

This is where we spotted him, he was way up the hill in the shade, kinda centered in the picture:

IMG_2310_zps7e4b9827.jpg

Anyway we made it happen, thanks a bunch to Casey and Jim for all your help. We can't thank you enough, this was a good hunt with good company. Glad you guys got some good bucks and am looking forward to your writeup!

• Like 1

Good job on getting your first coues, and a good one at that! Congratulations to all and nice write up and pictures.

Sounds like a fun time was had by all. Congratulations on the success.

Jake, nice write-up. It was really nice meeting you and Mike and I was glad to help you guys get deer. That is what it is all about.

Hope to hunt with you again in the future.

Nice write up! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Jake, nice write-up. It was really nice meeting you and Mike and I was glad to help you guys get deer. That is what it is all about.

Hope to hunt with you again in the future.

I hope for the same thing Jim, it was great meeting you as well.