Sign in to follow this  
Gbarcom

Eventfull Late Hunt

I will do my best to write this story not the greatest writer. My 6 year old and I have been out numerous times scouting and have seen a lot of wild life he loves it, so tuesday before thanks giving we headed up to set up camp and do a little last min glassing. Wensday we glassed up 10 bulls and headed home. Thursday we ate and I headed up to camp my dad was supposed to be right behind me but the tranny went out in the jeep so the hunt problems started already. He finally made it up with a different side x side at 4 am just in time to leave for opening morning. We get to my first glassing spot and glassed up 7 bulls right away but no shooter, but after about a hour of glassing the 6x6 walks out of the bottom. Sweet I told my dad but how we going to get to him ? We drove around for about 2 hours trying to find the clossest rd to him, the clossest was about a 3 mi walk, and we took off. On our way we came across the 7 bulls we saw at first light about 400 yards away, being carefull not to blow them out we backed out and went around the next cut. Finally we get to a glassing point to look for the 6x6 where we last seen him. I pick him up right away only to watch him bed out of sight behind a clump of trees. My dad Said you sure you seen him I said Im sure, so we kept an eye on that spot for the next 4 hours hoping for movement and nothing, the whole time waiting we had doubt that he slipped away then finally my dad sais is that his butt sticking out I sad yes thats him dad sais kinda looks like a rock, so I get the rifle set up it was going to be a 630 yard shot and I was confident as I had all the time in the world and a good rest. We waited for him to stand to confirm it was the bull and them my dad said its him take him when your ready boom right through the pump station one shot out of our 7mm he fell about 50 yards down the mountain and we were stoked. We barley made it to him in time to get pics before dark then the fun part began in the dark we had him haning in a tree quartered at about 930 and we headed our 3 mi hike back to the sise x side with some meat the head and all our gear untill half way back my dad slipped on a rock and twisted his knee. So we made a fire and slept on the mountain that night so we could rest. Thankfully my dad was able to walk out the next morning and we went to camp where help was waiting, it took us the next 2 days to get this bull out thanks for reading

post-11915-0-56828300-1417796793_thumb.jpg

post-11915-0-63945800-1417796853_thumb.jpg

post-11915-0-94316600-1417796941_thumb.jpg

post-11915-0-75940500-1417796992_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Congratulations on a great bull and way to get it done through the ups and downs. I've been on several hunts like that and it can be tough to stay positive at times.

You should of called Uncle Chad, he still has some packing left in him. He was butt hurt You didn't call and ask for help. heck he could have had half of Jakes Corner there.

Nice bull!! Way to stick it out waiting for him to stand up!

Congratulations on a nice bull. Glad your dad turned out to be ok. :)

TJ