Sign in to follow this  
5guyshunting

G+F hunter survey

The online way is the way to go.

These should not be optional random surveys, but everyone who draws a tag should be required to submit their Harvest Report after their hunt. You don't submit your Harvest Report, you can't apply next year. This would be another souce of data for AZGF to use when determining tag numbers. I really don't see a reason anyone would not tell the truth on the mandated harvest reports.

• Like 9

These should not be optional random surveys, but everyone who draws a tag should be required to submit their Harvest Report after their hunt. You don't submit your Harvest Report, you can't apply next year. This would be another souce of data for AZGF to use when determining tag numbers. I really don't see a reason anyone would not tell the truth on the mandated harvest reports.

The reason for someone to not tell the truth is to manipulate harvest rates to make it easier to get the tag again. You harvest, but you say you don't. The harvest rate reported is lower than actual, less people are willing to put in for hunts with lower harvest rates, you therefore would have a higher chance of drawing the tag again for yourself. This would cause many other problems of course, like the department having bad info, making bad decisions from bad info, potentiality leading them to changing the hunt, decreasing tags, etc. etc.

A great example would be 16A archery elk. 4 tags, a bad survey would throw results automatically by 25%.

I always fill them out online. Takes like 2 minutes. I don't want the department, or myself, to have bad information about the hunts going on in our state.

I always claim that I harvested even when I don't. I believe they give way too many tags and I hope this makes the harvest rates look high and just maybe the G&f will do the right thing and lower tags.

• Like 4

I always claim that I harvested even when I don't. I believe they give way too many tags and I hope this makes the harvest rates look high and just maybe the G&f will do the right thing and lower tags.

You might be creating the opposite effect by doing that. If G&F sees high harvest rates they might think the unit holds more deer than it really does since guys are doing so well... thus increasing the amount of tags. Who knows. I always fill it out honestly. I prefer to have accurate info when I review success rates for a particular hunt or when browsing through the MRS in eastmans. Does more harm than good to lie on the survey.

• Like 1

The reason for someone to not tell the truth is to manipulate harvest rates to make it easier to get the tag again. You harvest, but you say you don't. The harvest rate reported is lower than actual, less people are willing to put in for hunts with lower harvest rates, you therefore would have a higher chance of drawing the tag again for yourself. This would cause many other problems of course, like the department having bad info, making bad decisions from bad info, potentiality leading them to changing the hunt, decreasing tags, etc. etc.

A great example would be 16A archery elk. 4 tags, a bad survey would throw results automatically by 25%.

I always fill them out online. Takes like 2 minutes. I don't want the department, or myself, to have bad information about the hunts going on in our state.

You report that you did not harvest, then azgf shows up on your doorstep and finds a nice pair of antlers. Now you are not just giving bad information - you are a poacher! You list that you did harvest and you actually didn't, then less tags and better game population.

"like the department having bad info, making bad decisions from bad info, potentiality leading them to changing the hunt, decreasing tags, etc. etc"

What do you think they do now?

Filling out online reports is a lot cheaper than conducting aerial surveys as well. As with anything that deals with statistics, the more information you have the better.

You report that you did not harvest, then azgf shows up on your doorstep and finds a nice pair of antlers. Now you are not just giving bad information - you are a poacher! You list that you did harvest and you actually didn't, then less tags and better game population.

"like the department having bad info, making bad decisions from bad info, potentiality leading them to changing the hunt, decreasing tags, etc. etc"

What do you think they do now?

Filling out online reports is a lot cheaper than conducting aerial surveys as well. As with anything that deals with statistics, the more information you have the better.

not always less tags, you then cut revenue... one good way to decrease success rate is to put a bunch more tags... lowers success and increases revenue.

I think I may read sarcasm in your bold type......

How long are the back forks in your avatar Norteno? sweet buck!

James

I feel that there is no point to their survey if it is optional. The only way the survey could have any accuracy , is if it were mandatory.

Just a waste of postage and time in my opinion.

• Like 2

I say Mandatory with check stations too. then they would have the truest count. No check in no draw next year. Simple truth..........BOB!

• Like 1

I say Mandatory with check stations too. then they would have the truest count. No check in no draw next year. Simple truth..........BOB!

Mandatory check stations I know are in Ohio. No check no draw, I'm not sure how that could work if you didn't harvest. I think we are on the same page though.

Mandatory check stations??? Who would staff those? I haven't seen a Game Warden in the field in over 17 years... and I spend anywhere from 50 -100 days a year in the field.