Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Last day bull for Lukeduke

I helped Lukeduke on his late rifle bull hunt in 7W. We hunted hard Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I estimated I walked 8 miles on Saturday just trying to find sign. I had to go back to work for Monday and Luke stayed up there to

hunt the morning and then he had to be back for work and school on Tues. and Wed. The 1st 3 days were warm and windy. No elk were found on Friday. Saturday I glassed up 2 cows and Luke found 6 cows. Sunday was a bust

too. Fellow CWT member Lance had helped his girl get a nice bull and he gave Luke a couple spots to try. Thanks for that Lance! Luke and I went back up on Thursday, the last day of the hunt. I had a good feeling that we would

finally see elk in the same areas we hunted at the start of the season. It rained all the way up to our area. The cattle in the area were up and feeding so I figured the elk would be too. We saw elk right away but no bulls. We finally

got up to a nice hill and right away I glassed up 2 elk feeding at the bottom of the hill about 500 yards below us. One was a bull so Luke decided that he wanted to try for that one. We started our sneak downhill and stayed to the

right of them. We had lost sight of them but knew they would still be there. I finally was able to glass the bull in his bed. He never saw us while we were figuring out how to get in position for the shot. Luke finally squirmed into

place and shot this bull prone at 200 yards with his Savage .300 Win. Mag. I am so proud of how far he has come as a hunter. I didn't even have to gut this one! (well a little).

IMG_20141129_154510_zpsqnarqiwf.jpgIMG_20141129_124150_zpsy4toxpkq.jpgIMG_20141129_124058_zps5hoyxgbo.jpgIMG_20141128_074812_zpspbjca8lj.jpgIMG_20141127_172814_zps5zqs9tbn.jpg1417714955_zpsejjzafdy.jpg

• Like 5

Great job!

Good job on sticking with it. Congrats! :)

TJ

Glad we could keep in touch throughout the hunt to help keep tabs on the elk. At least we knew where the elk were not. Really happy to see Lucas got an elk on the last day. Way to stick with it Lucas, congrats buddy.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody!

The real star of the hunt was DUG. Aftter the miserable conditions the first few days he agreed to go back with me. Thursday he was on his game. He had it all figured out, he called their every move. He picked out the bull bedded behind a small dead fall through a juniper that was the last thing between us and him.

Thanks Dad for an awesome hunt!