Sign in to follow this  
mklong40

Wife Tags Her '14 Coues

I am very proud my wife was able to get it done this year on a left over tag. She was fortunate enough to tag a 107" buck in 2012. Last year brought some pain when she missed another very nice buck at 369 yards. During the off season she chose to step down from a 7mm Mag to a 7mm-08. She practiced all summer and felt much more comfortable with the '08. Unfortunately, the week of the hunt there was a death in the family. Instead of hunting, she was attending funeral services. We knew we would only have 3 days to get it done.

With only 3 days to get it done, a branched 3X was a shooter. We have some great bucks on trail cam in the area we are hunting, but we just didn't have the time to hold out. Friday yielded a few deer. Saturday evening, once the rain stopped, I glassed a small 3X. My wife looked him over and determined she would shoot him with our time constraints. My wife settled in and made a perfect double lung shot at 249 yards. The buck stop, dropped, and rolled...On a serious note, I switched her round to 140gr Berger VLDs moving at 2845fps out of her setup. The exit wound was something fierce to say the least. I will be moving to them myself, once I have some testing time.

We were able to gut the deer and get him off the mountain before dark. We capped the night off with a few cold ones and fried heart. I am very proud my wife put the time in this year after her miss last year. It didn't hold her down. She made a one shot, quick kill this year. The practice time paid off. Not a big buck but more of a validation buck for her.

post-5969-0-35150100-1417975109_thumb.jpg

post-5969-0-05366400-1417975298_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Congrats to her taking a nice buck on a short hunt.

Great job! Looks like it was starting to Palm just a little. Sounds like it was a fun hunt!

Awesome! Now if I only to get my wife to go.

Right on! Congratulations to your wife on making the most of her limited time in the hills.

Beautiful buck!