Sign in to follow this  
Coues assassin

Havalon knife, which one?

I use the orange-handled Piranta. My process is to use the existing blade at the time of harvest to skin and debone the animal. I then change to a new blade once all the hair/hide/bone is out of the equation, typically once I'm at home doing final processing, for trimming silver skin etc.. Leaves it razor sharp for the next harvest as long as it doesn't touch hair or bone. I never change blades in the field, scares me. Works excellent on ducks too but is a little short for geese. After a few of these comments I may look into the outdoor edge, baracuda, or alterative 22xt blades. I haven't carried my buck knife in my pack in quite a while.

I always have a multi tool to change the blades with. The old blades go back in a package and into a empty water bottle or buried.

I have also, never broken a blade. But I don't pry or force bone with mine either. I have a Gerber bone saw I carry for cutting off legs, and vertebrae. Also, the gutless method does not require splitting the pelvis. Gotta LOVE the gutless method of cleaning game in the field. But if I was actually ever lucky enough to shoot game close to a road where I could get the entire animal in the truck, I would still gut it, then hang to skin and quarter. SO much nicer and cleaner that way.

you can give them a couple of licks on a sharpening steel to get a little more life out of them.I have both of the havalons.Its all I use in my taxidermy shop for capeing.

• Like 1

As others have said above, Piranta model is the way to go! My wife got it for me last Christmas and it is scary sharp! I Might have to try out those 22xt blades.

I have the havalon piranta and outdoor edge razor blaze, both are extremely sharp. IMO the outdoor edge is the only way to go, it's more sturdy, feels better in my hand and a lot easier/safer to change the blade.

• Like 1

Just skinned bull elk with the outdoor edge... larger handle, larger blade which is better for the big game. I went through a couple blades...probably could've sharpened them but wanted to get it done quick so just switched them out quick. Perfect for big game. I also have the havalon and I prefer it for skinning coyotes and other predators as it is a bit smaller. They are both excellent knives. A hunter should have one of each in their pack Imo. Can't go wrong.

I have both the havalon knives & the newer replaceable blade outdoor edge knife. I prefer the outdoor edge knife, because it's easier and safer to change the blade. It's also larger and doesn't break as easily. I also have multiple cuts to go along with the havalon knives:)

Adam

I use the piranta with the orange handle.I can change the blade out in about 20 seconds, I used the new blade to pry the back end of the old blade on the knife and pull it away from the handle, no problem have never been cut knock on wood.as far as sharpening them I would rather use the space in my pack for a dozen new blades rather than a knife sharpener.in 2010 I completely boned out a moose with the piranta including taking the head off and the hindquarters. It did take about 6 or 8 blades to get the job done

Just curious how y'all are managing to cut yourself with the havalon?

I have never cut myself with one, jabed it into the side of my hand but that wouldve happened with any knife and was on me.

I haven't cut myself.....yet.. did get stabbed thru the finger tho. I was changing the blade out with my multi-tool and a piece broke off and buzzed right by my eye. That was the 60xt. I like the (A) blades, they are a bit thicker. I also point it down towards the ground now when changing them. I am still trying to figure out the best way to dispose of them. As of now I point them into the ground and hammer them in with a rock and leave the rock on top of it. They are bad news floating around in the pack. Maybe need to get an old pill container to put them in. Still gotta be careful disposing of them at the house tho.

I had a Piranta and used it one time on a Javelina. The blade seemed dull and most of the way through I tried to change the blade and since it was my first time using the knife for the life of me I couldn't figure it out and ended up using my skinning knife to finish it up.

When I got home and read the directions it all came together and I used it with a new blade to clean up the meat. Gave it away after that because I just didn't like the flimsy feel of it or the way the blades needed to be changed.

Ive quatered up 2 WTs with the same blade on my Piranta. Definitely need a good pocket knife to get thru the leg joints, otherwise you risk a broken blade. I pack out the used blades, but I've heard of hunters breaking them in half and sticking them in the gut pile for the coyotes.

Ive quatered up 2 WTs with the same blade on my Piranta. Definitely need a good pocket knife to get thru the leg joints, otherwise you risk a broken blade. I pack out the used blades, but I've heard of hunters breaking them in half and sticking them in the gut pile for the coyotes.

To dispose of blades, I just put the old blade in the packet that the new blades comes in, and put it in the back of the nylon holster until I get home. I just cut the leg joints apart on my elk this weekend as I was butchering it with my Barracuta. No need to pry apart. Just cut the tendons and cartilage and they come right apart.

As for putting the blades in a gut pile to be eaten, that is bullshit. I am all for predator control, and hunt them regularly, but that idea sucks. We should strive for a clean kill at all times, even on coyotes, and ingesting a blade would not be a quick, clean kill. Plus, not only coyotes eat the gut piles. So do birds of prey. You really want a hawk/eagle/condor/vulture to eat half a blade? I have seen bald eagles on gut piles before. WTF.

• Like 4