Capt. Don Martin

Finally, a Gould's tag for 2015

After many, many years of applying, I have finally drawn a Gould's turkey tag for Spring 2015. I think I had 13 bonus points!

I have tag #7 for Unit 35A, and drew the first hunt.

About 4 years ago I assisted a friend of mine who had drew this tag and we smoked a whopper on opening day about 15 minutes into the hunt.

Course I had scouted for a week before the hunt, so I kinda knew where to go!

Looking for another great hunt! Love those long legged critters.

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

post-11017-0-55677900-1418197992.jpg

• Like 4

Congratulations on the draw success! I know you'll tag a big one, can't wait to hear about it and see some pictures!

That is awesome congratulations to your friend and of course to you too for drawing that tag! Keep us posted should be a great hunt!

That's a fun hunt me and my dad had 2 of the 8 tags of first hunt last year (won't say how points we had) ;) lol but it was like 10 points less than you. Wasnt gobbling good till Towards end of the hunt at least around the sunnyside and south east of the lake thinkd its parker canyon lake? But one thing for sure if you see half as many turkey as you do border patrol you will be set lol. just got call that mount is done today to but with the holidays I'm broke till tax time

Funny how many friends you get when you get a Gould's tag! LOL. Couple of my buddies (Eric Hawkinberry & Don Tirpak) are going with me as they have high hopes of getting a Gould's tag someday and want to see the country. Glad to have them along.

This is going to be a special year I think!

Looking forward to a great Gould's hunt, will go down about a week early and start scouting.

post-11017-0-25562900-1422954578_thumb.jpg

Will hopefully get one as I also have a San Carlos tag (Merriams)

post-11017-0-83305200-1422954753_thumb.jpg

Plus I applied for a Nevada tag (Rio Grande), so if successful there, will have three birds to chase this year.

post-11017-0-97102300-1422955488_thumb.jpg

Just got to figure out how to get to Florida in 2016 and hunt that long legged Osceola to finish up my slam!

Don Martin

I'm going to have to get another Merriams now with all this turkey talk. I've killed those in CA and Easterns in TN. Guess I should start applying to get a Goulds someday. Beautiful birds.

Good luck, I hope you get one. How many points is it taking on average to draw a Goulds tag?