COOSEFAN

Arizona Elk Society Banquet

I was at the banquet and thought the autioneer did a good and fair job with the elk tag, wish it would have went higher though. Maybe next time the idiots will have the bidder on the phone and know what they are willing to pay. I think the only reason the three of them through a fit was they knew they screwed up.

One of the first things that a person does when they are planning to bid on an item like the Elk Tag is to introduce themselves to the auctioneer and or to the person that is is charge of the live auction and tell them that they are a serious bidder and to watch for them. That was not done. It was not close to 2 minutes that the auctioneer tried to go from $85k to $90k, it was more like 3 minutes with pauses and a plea to go more than the $85k. The auctioneer did not do the going once, twice bit all night long and usually doesn't so why would anyone think he would do it then. I feel for the wildlife that would have benefitted from that extra amount of money that would have gone to projects and I feel for the client that was hoping to get the auction tag but lost it due to a few guys that did a dumba$$ job of being the bidder. The auctioneer has raised a lot of money for the wildlife here in Arizona and not just by being the auctioneer for a lot of the banquets. He is not perfect as is no one, but he did the right thing and a fantastic job with the tag. JMO

Jim

I wasn't there, but based off the posts made above it seems really odd to me that it sold for $85k after shooting for $90k and never backing down from $90k. Why did he not back down from $90k? When was the last time that you saw the closing stages of an auction in $5k or nothing increments??? That same auctioneer has gone down to $100 dollar increments before to get bidding going again. My understanding is that he did this on other tags like the stag hunt, etc which draw nothing in comparison to the money that the elk tag brings in. I can see those bidders holding out until $100k. When was the last time it sold under $100k??? At least 7 years ago. Last year the bidding was held up for 10 to 15 minutes at $90k before it finally started up again. Does anybody recall last years auction deer tag? The bidding was so slow that the auctioneer stopped and talked to the crowd for quite some time before heating it up again to make sure it wasn't sold for less then it was worth. Again, I wasn't there, but have been to severeal auctions for these tags and this sure seems odd. AZ1 I hope you know the facts when you start calling people idiots and dumba$$ on a public forum and pops same to you.

And yes it is a big deal that there was no going once, twice, etc. I have never seen it happen like this. Every time that I can recall it has gone this way and yes I have seen bidders hold out until this point because it is time to get serious. I guess the elk are the ones who really lost out with the loss of revenue. Maybe the RMEF needs to auction both tags since they were able to get $120k plus for the same tag. Interesting...................

Hey 300WBYMAG, Your right, I shouldn't have called anyone idiots but if they are going to bid, then bid. Why wait for 10 minutes to 15 minutes for someone to beg and plea for you to bid on the tag and take the chance of it being sold while your playing poker with an awesome elk tag that is being sold for a great cause. When the three gentleman raised a fuss, all i heard from the crowd was sold. IMO

I wasn't there, but based off the posts made above it seems really odd to me that it sold for $85k after shooting for $90k and never backing down from $90k. Why did he not back down from $90k? When was the last time that you saw the closing stages of an auction in $5k or nothing increments??? That same auctioneer has gone down to $100 dollar increments before to get bidding going again. My understanding is that he did this on other tags like the stag hunt, etc which draw nothing in comparison to the money that the elk tag brings in. I can see those bidders holding out until $100k. When was the last time it sold under $100k??? At least 7 years ago. Last year the bidding was held up for 10 to 15 minutes at $90k before it finally started up again. Does anybody recall last years auction deer tag? The bidding was so slow that the auctioneer stopped and talked to the crowd for quite some time before heating it up again to make sure it wasn't sold for less then it was worth. Again, I wasn't there, but have been to severeal auctions for these tags and this sure seems odd. AZ1 I hope you know the facts when you start calling people idiots and dumba$$ on a public forum and pops same to you.

And yes it is a big deal that there was no going once, twice, etc. I have never seen it happen like this. Every time that I can recall it has gone this way and yes I have seen bidders hold out until this point because it is time to get serious. I guess the elk are the ones who really lost out with the loss of revenue. Maybe the RMEF needs to auction both tags since they were able to get $120k plus for the same tag. Interesting...................

Hey 300.....If you read a little more closely, Pops did not call THEM dumba$$es.......he commented on their bidding skills! They should have told the auctioneer ahead of time that they plan on bidding and to watch for them. This isn't just some painting or fishing trip they were bidding on.....the guy they were bidding for was willing to pay alot more than $85,000. and I don't believe he's very happy with those three boys right now. The auctioneer did a good job and anyone willing to gamble with over $100,000 of somebody elses money, should have paid attention to the characteristics of the auctioneer throughout the night, that way they would've known he wasn't gonna say, "going, going....gone!" The auctioneer gave plenty of time, and I would bet almost everyone there would agree. It is unfortunate though.

I agree with AZ#1 why should the auctioneer have to wait 10 to 15 minutes for someone to make a bid? I was there and the 2 to 3 minute window the auctioneer gave was more than enough time. If you are interested in purchasing a tag of that quality you should know how much you are willing to spend and not hold back and wait for the bids to go higher.

3oowbymag, I would never call someone a dumba$$ and I apologize if I led anyone to believe that I did. I did say that they did a dumba$$ job though and I stick to that. I have actually talked to a couple of them in the past and they were very nice guys and I also believe they have a good reputation within the hunting community but it is still what it is. As far as the other points that you make, I pretty much disagree with you on every point and again that my opinion and you have yours. That is what is great about this forum.

Jim

I too was there and say what you all want to but the auctioneer gave everyone all the time they wanted to make a bid. True, maybe the auctioneer should have stopped the whole proceedings and explained the importance of this particular tag but that is hind sight. Maybe next time the telephone bidder won't send a boy to do a mans job. ;)

I guess that is right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not much can be done now to change anything, but I hope that something is learned for the future because I truly believe the elk lost out on this one with the extra money that could have been made. And those boys weren't the only ones bidding. One of the other bidders that was waiting has bought many tags over the years and I'm sure if you talked to him he would tell you he was shocked.

But again just my opinion, and I wasn't there this year, so take it for its worth. If you ask my wife it ain't worth much. :wacko:

I guess that is right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not much can be done now to change anything, but I hope that something is learned for the future because I truly believe the elk lost out on this one with the extra money that could have been made. And those boys weren't the only ones bidding. One of the other bidders that was waiting has bought many tags over the years and I'm sure if you talked to him he would tell you he was shocked.

But again just my opinion, and I wasn't there this year, so take it for its worth. If you ask my wife it ain't worth much. :wacko:

3oowbymag, that I agree with you 100% and it has shocked every one. Also my wife thinks the same about me. They must be taught that from an early age.

Jim

I too was there and say what you all want to but the auctioneer gave everyone all the time they wanted to make a bid. True, maybe the auctioneer should have stopped the whole proceedings and explained the importance of this particular tag but that is hind sight. Maybe next time the telephone bidder won't send a boy to do a mans job. ;)

Arizona Griz what is your name? Chris What? This is Brian Rhoton, who i guess you concider one of the "boys". Just want to know who is flapping their jaws out there.

They had more than enough time to bid!!!!! The auctioneer did a perfectly acceptable job when he sold that tag... There was plenty of time to bid... Like has been said before he didn't say going, going, gone, or going once, twice, etc. all night... Anyone who was there knew that... If your willing to bid more than do it... Sh!t or get off the pot... The response from the crowd was overwhelmingly in the favor of the auctioneer... If you want to bid in smaller increments than do it before it gets sold... The bidders were having some kind of problems communicating on the phone, the auctioneer looked right at them and said he was going to sell it, with plenty of time for them to bid... I think it's to bad they didn't get more for it either but, YOU GOTTA BID!!!