Sign in to follow this  
BigGameHunter

Rutting

Anyone witnessing any rutting behaivor yet? I know last year, it seemed to start later in December (atleast in the unit I hunt). Just curious, if you seen the bucks start to seperate and chase does, yet.

Down here, in the southeastern part of the state, rutting is not far from full swing. Saturday and Sunday I watched two different herds being claimed by mature bucks that chased of inferior competition. The females seem to be a few days off from being ready but it is happening earlier than I can remember. Usually, at this time, the smaller bucks are trying to group them up but this was not the case.

I know it's been unseasonably warm up farther north. So might be a little delayed. Was on a late cow hunt weekend before last and only got below freezing one night outta 5. Last yr was close to zero.

In the past week, I have seen numerous herds of does....all alone. No bucks anywhere near the does around the Phoenix and Gila Bend areas that I have seen.

So far it has been nothing but does for us. The boys will be coming soon though!

30+ does total in three groups. Spike with a few does. Small fork with 9 does. Big fork with 17 does. The big bucks haven't come into our area yet. Any day I'm sure. The big fork was chasing does and stomping at them with his head down and nose sniffing.

I agree with the first commenter. The big boys are out and thinking about it but are still mainly roaming. This is still huge at this time of year. Next week it will be on here.

in 7E saw a big 4x with 10 does and a 2 pt on the late rifle bull hunt. he was big and swollen.

I'm sure it will get going for the mulies, the coues are definitely pre rut... saw a bunch of fresh rubs in 23.

weather is not the only factor in the rut.... moon stars, tide...... when a doe is ready she is ready.

James

ive seen 4 groups of doe, each had a smaller buck with them... havent seen any BIG boys pushing them around yet... im sure some of the higher elevations are more active up north. This weeks chill and snow should tip the bucket and get them up moving right! im not much of a sothern state hunter at this point, i stay mid-north-east state mostly.

Thanks gents, I am still not seeing the bucks move in yet. I have a few large herd of does that I keep an eye on ... that last year brought in a couple big bucks, but nothing yet....

I am loving this cool weather - hopefully that will stir up the testerone.

• Like 1

Friday saw a couple groups of bachelor bucks,one group had large 2x ,and 4 or 5 3xs ,one really nice... and saw a group of does with no bucks....sunday 2 groups of does,solo spike and in the evening a large 3x4 with a solo doe,he was bush thrashing...any day for the rut to hit! I was looking for stink pigs because I can't shoot a deer Till jan 1 then its on!

South Central 24b saw and missed a 4x4 pushing 5 doe with a 1x2 in close proximity. The 1x had a full arrow with white vanes sticking out the back of his head,crazy sight. About 3/4 of mile later found a bedded forker with a doe and fawn bedded about 20 yards away.