bwp22

Mule deer scrapes

While checking tanks for bow season the other day I came across several fresh mule deer scrapes. Do mule deer differ from whitetails in their behavior with scrapes? For example, back east the whitetail would generally make their scrapes at night and check them in the morning. They would also return right after a rain to freshen the scrapes. Has anyone had any luck hunting over scrapes after a rain? These are the first fresh mule deer scrapes I have come across and am not sure how much attention to give them. Thanks in advance for any input!

In the desert where I usually hunt mulies during the runt, I don't really see dedicated scrapes and have never heard of anyone using them in their hunting arsenal around here. But maybe I'm just missing the tactic, its happened before :)

• Like 1

Interesting...I'd like to hear what you find out, especially if you put a camera out. I've never seen what I thought might be a scrape in the desert, and wasn't really sure if mule deer made them at all.

• Like 1

I put a camera on them yesterday, I'll be sure to post my findings. I am 99% sure they are from mule deer based on the size of the track. Also, all the deer I have had on camera in the area have been mule deer.

I agree spot and stalk is more fun and you will see more deer. I only began bowhuniting here in AZ last year, so my stalking skills are still a work in progress! Plus, my son has recently taken an interest in hunting and its good father son time together in the blind. Thanks again for the input!

• Like 1

I have set a camera up on a fresh rub in the desert around here before for a week and never got a picture on the camera. Hopefully you have better results. I would think they would come back but not on my case...

Here's an update on the scrapes I found. They are indeed from mule deer and they have been showing up a few times a week. They usually will get a drink from the adjacent tank and then do their thing at the scrapes located about 50 yards away.

I have only had the chance to sit the blind a few times over the past few weeks due to family vacations and the holidays, but on the second day I had a decent 3x3 come in to about 30 yards. He went behind a large bush just prior to stepping out in the clearing. I tried to get to full draw as he walked behind the bush but for whatever reason I couldn't get drawn! I dont know if it was the 3 hours in 25 degree weather, buck fever, or both. Anyway I finally got drawn and he must have seen the movement as he came out from behind the bush. All I could see was his head, front legs, and about the first 6 inches of his body. And he was staring a hole through me. I figured he was about to bolt so I put my 30 pin just behind his shoulder and let it fly. Unfortunately the shot went a few inches left and hit him right in the shoulder blade. I got nearly zero penatration and watched in disbelief as he ran away with 27 of the 29 inches of my arrow sticking out of him. He jumped a fence and tripped, breaking off the majority of the arrow. What a sickening feeling. I was able to track him for about a half a mile by following his tracks and never saw a drop of blood. Somewhere out there is a pissed off mule deer with an Ulmer Edge and 3" of Carbon Express stuck in his shoulder.

The camera I put on the scrapes went haywire and stopped working 12 hours after I put it out there, so I lost almost two weeks of potential pictures. The pictures below are the scrapes, some pics from late november, and some recent pictures from a different camera. I'll be back out there in a few days!

post-12607-0-45139300-1420767856_thumb.jpg

post-12607-0-79120200-1420768077_thumb.jpg

post-12607-0-72470800-1420768106_thumb.jpg

post-12607-0-26677100-1420768119_thumb.jpg

post-12607-0-26405100-1420768131_thumb.jpg

post-12607-0-58676200-1420768143_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I thought you were talking about a tree scrape. Looks like a mineral or salt scrape, either natural or someone had put salt there in the past that is still in the soil. Nice spot! Maybe the buck will be back next year!

I've seen pronghorn make scrapes like crazy but not much for mule deer. Cool that you have some decent evidence that something is hitting that scrape. Just so we are speaking the same language I always considered the branches that get licked to be a lick, a pawed out place in the ground that gets pissed in a scrape, and a tree or whatever that has been mangled by antlers to be a rub.

Nice spot, good luck!

Guest wdenike

Here's an update on the scrapes I found. They are indeed from mule deer and they have been showing up a few times a week. They usually will get a drink from the adjacent tank and then do their thing at the scrapes located about 50 yards away.

I have only had the chance to sit the blind a few times over the past few weeks due to family vacations and the holidays, but on the second day I had a decent 3x3 come in to about 30 yards. He went behind a large bush just prior to stepping out in the clearing. I tried to get to full draw as he walked behind the bush but for whatever reason I couldn't get drawn! I dont know if it was the 3 hours in 25 degree weather, buck fever, or both. Anyway I finally got drawn and he must have seen the movement as he came out from behind the bush. All I could see was his head, front legs, and about the first 6 inches of his body. And he was staring a hole through me. I figured he was about to bolt so I put my 30 pin just behind his shoulder and let it fly. Unfortunately the shot went a few inches left and hit him right in the shoulder blade. I got nearly zero penatration and watched in disbelief as he ran away with 27 of the 29 inches of my arrow sticking out of him. He jumped a fence and tripped, breaking off the majority of the arrow. What a sickening feeling. I was able to track him for about a half a mile by following his tracks and never saw a drop of blood. Somewhere out there is a pissed off mule deer with an Ulmer Edge and 3" of Carbon Express stuck in his shoulder.

The camera I put on the scrapes went haywire and stopped working 12 hours after I put it out there, so I lost almost two weeks of potential pictures. The pictures below are the scrapes, some pics from late november, and some recent pictures from a different camera. I'll be back out there in a few days!

For the record scrapes and rubs are two entirely different things. Always felt muleys also had the same reproductive behavior as whitetail. Just never took the time to put a camera on a scrape. ( kudos to you) I have always felt that we get such few times to hunt due to draw odds. That spending time behind the glass was the most productive. Not directing this at anyone specifically. But if the shoe fits wear it. As it truly amazes me the willingness of some to spout of and let the world know how little they actually know. I'm pretty sure them poor stupid Eastern hunters aren't quite as dumb as some of the KNOW IT ALLS. That consistently let the crowd know how little they actually know, would have y'all believe.

Take care, Willie

• Like 1