Sign in to follow this  
out4blood

Swarovski EL 12x50 Swarovision and SLC 15X56 WB

I've made the decision to upgrade my glass and am trying to decide between the Swarovski EL 12x50 Swarovision and the SLC 15X56 WB. I've been comparing them and like the weight and size advantage of the El's. Optically they are both fantastic. I give the edge to edge clarity advantage and color to the El's. Having not been able to do a side by side field comparison for an extended period of time I cannot speak to the difference in spotting game and the detail required given the difference in magnification. I'd be interested in hearing from those who have used both. I'm concerned that I may come to regret not having the 15x magnification if I go with the 12x. I know I cannot go wrong with either and price is not a concern. Does anyone regret switching from the 15s to 12s?

Sir I own both and spend about 200 days a yr in the field. I would be happy to speak with you about the pros and cons. Dave 602-228-1719

Will you be available today ~4pm?

I asked Dave the same question when I picked up a spotter from him in June. I was looking at selling my 10s&15s and going to the 12s. He said absolutely I should and I couldn't be happier. If you spot something you need to get a closer look at, you need a spotter instead of the extra 3 power 15s. You can hand hold 12s for close work. Go 12s and don't look back. After each day of glassing I am amazed at how awesome the binos are.

I asked Dave the same question when I picked up a spotter from him in June. I was looking at selling my 10s&15s and going to the 12s. He said absolutely I should and I couldn't be happier. If you spot something you need to get a closer look at, you need a spotter instead of the extra 3 power 15s. You can hand hold 12s for close work. Go 12s and don't look back. After each day of glassing I am amazed at how awesome the binos are.

Dave's normally right. I was in the same boat. Sold my Swarovski 15x56. And got the 12x50 el. They are amazing.

I like this discussion! I have been saving up for a pair of 15's too so my dad can sit and glass more rather than walk forever. You guys feel you're not missing out or annoyed you didn't get the 15's??

Yes this is a constructive post hijacking- I as well would love to hear your opinions!

I have both as well as 10's and use the 12's for everything. My dad uses the 15's now and my daughter the 10's.

Those of you who gave up your 15s for 12s, did you give up the newer HD 15s or the older 15s. The newer ones are so much better than the old ones which must be considered. Also the newer 15s are much easier to hand hold then the older ones and I feel very comfortable hand holding them for short periods of time. If you are gonna be glassing for longer times they should be on a tripod regardless of bino power.

I like this discussion! I have been saving up for a pair of 15's too so my dad can sit and glass more rather than walk forever. You guys feel you're not missing out or annoyed you didn't get the 15's??

Yes this is a constructive post hijacking- I as well would love to hear your opinions!

This is what I'm trying to avoid. I do not want to buy another pair of big eyes.

Dave's normally right. I was in the same boat. Sold my Swarovski 15x56. And got the 12x50 el. They are amazing.

Dave makes me spend to much money. Just had to show me those 12's and now the new swaro spotter. LOL

Those of you who gave up your 15s for 12s, did you give up the newer HD 15s or the older 15s. The newer ones are so much better than the old ones which must be considered. Also the newer 15s are much easier to hand hold then the older ones and I feel very comfortable hand holding them for short periods of time. If you are gonna be glassing for longer times they should be on a tripod regardless of bino power.

I sold the the non HD 15x56. I am extremely happy. I do think feel like I am missing any thing. Exempt the need to carry 10s and 15s. I don't even carry a spotting scope. If I can't tell if it's an animal I'm interested in with 12s it's too far away for me to make a play any way.

Dave makes me spend to much money. Just had to show me those 12's and now the new swaro spotter. LOL

Which spotter did you end up with?

Last year on an Antelope hunt this guy was bragging about his 12x50's and wanting to sell his first gen Swaro 15x56. Six of us happen to meet on a hill and I set up the 12x50's next to Leica 15x56 and the Swarovski 15x56 neu on tripods. All six of us went from one binocular to the other looking at an old barn about 1 1/2 miles away under light overcast.

All 6 of us ranked the 12x50's clearly number one, with the Leica's 2 and the Swaro 15x56 a distance third.

I sold a pair of my 15x56 neu to partially fund a pair of 12x50's. During 5 days of October whitetail hunting my son and I kept switching back and forth between the 12's and 15's. Never once did I feel like I preferred the 15's or need the extra 3x.

So, this year I sold the other 15's and a 2x doubler to help fund a new pair of 15x56 HDs. Scouting and on a 7 day bull elk hunt my son and I kept switching back and forth between the 12's and the new 15's. Never once did I feel like the new 15's were handicapped! They are far better than the 15x56 neu. There were times the extra 3x helped.

Having said all that if I were only buying one I would get the12's. They are lighter, much easier to hand hold, and they have a greater field of view and have great edge sharpness. If I need that extra 3x I probably need my spotting scope.

• Like 1