Sign in to follow this  
out4blood

Swarovski EL 12x50 Swarovision and SLC 15X56 WB

These are some great opinions! I recently bought the 12x50 els and have wondered if I should have just bought the new 15s instead. I have a buddy that has an older pair that seems to be able to see much more detail at distance than I can with the 12s. I am still thinking about getting a pair of 8s and the new 15s and getting rid of the 12s. Tough decisions when it cost that much money!

I've got the new hd 10s an the non hd 15s. After spending some time behind the hd glass I will soon own the hd 15s. I have not spent much time looking thru the 12s. So I can't give much of an opinion but as for me you couldn't pry 15s out of my arsenal.

It's interesting how folks see things so differently. I've owned el's in 8's, 10's and 12's and have 15slc. Of the 4, I sold my 12's as I don't like carrying a spotting scope and use my 15's exclusively to find coues. I simply found more game with the 15's hands down. The swarovision 10's are perhaps my favorite multipurpose binocular of all time. I tried to love the 12's, but it wasn't happening. Felt like I was on a vibrating bed everytime I would freehand. I love the 8's for still hunting through the timber. The 10's will work as well, but not as good. If I brought the 12's on an archery elk hunt they could possibly cost me an opportunity as I would rarely look through them in the timber. For me, the only glass I see that is interesting at this time are the hd 15's due to the little bit of weight savings. Glad to see some 12's finding their place with people, but they're not for me.

• Like 3

All good information. I have 8s and 15s and am thinking really hard about trading them for some 12s. I like to carry a spotter most all of the time and the weight savings would be nice. It seems mixed on using off hand some guys say its not bad while others say to shaky. How do you 12 guys carry them. Are they to heavy for suspenders

All good information. I have 8s and 15s and am thinking really hard about trading them for some 12s. I like to carry a spotter most all of the time and the weight savings would be nice. It seems mixed on using off hand some guys say its not bad while others say to shaky. How do you 12 guys carry them. Are they to heavy for suspenders

I carry them in a kuiu xl harness. I used them off hand while hiking, they seem very stable to me.

• Like 1

Had the 12's but went back to 15's for coues. The 12's were clearer and brighter but just didnt have enough magnification and i dont want to carry a spotter. If i had 12's i would definitely carry a spotter where as the 15's give me just enough magnification to tell the size of coues at 1200-1500 yds and in.

Had the 12's but went back to 15's for coues. The 12's were clearer and brighter but just didnt have enough magnification and i dont want to carry a spotter. If i had 12's i would definitely carry a spotter where as the 15's give me just enough magnification to tell the size of coues at 1200-1500 yds and in.

That's what I was thinking for myself.

I don't have the money to afford good binos and a good spotting scope (at least not anytime soon)

My thought process is put the money into a good pair of 15's to get the best of both worlds. Then when I do have the money try the 12's and a spotting scope. I just keep thinking to myself though that if the swaro 12's have such "good" glass that in the near future swaro is going to do the same thing (swaro vision etc) in their 15's. If the 12's have such better quality and color contrast why wouldn't they?

With the new 15s just coming last year I think it would a while before we see any significant changes to them. I could see swarovski big eyes coming out soon possibly to compete with the highlanders. Have seen some guys make some creative ones on here.

When the 15 HDs came out I had a lot of these same questions and swarovski put me in contact with one of the top reps. He told me that it is not possible to get more than 12 power with the prism in the ELs. Swaro has already gotten all the magnification it can out of that prism. Higher magnification requires the SLCs. I too have been curious to see if swaro will come out with 20x or higher power binos. May require a mortgage to pay for em.

When the 15 HDs came out I had a lot of these same questions and swarovski put me in contact with one of the top reps. He told me that it is not possible to get more than 12 power with the prism in the ELs. Swaro has already gotten all the magnification it can out of that prism. Higher magnification requires the SLCs. I too have been curious to see if swaro will come out with 20x or higher power binos. May require a mortgage to pay for em.

It'll require a mortgage an everyone of us will own a pair lol I know I would.

I used the old 15s for a couple years and switched to the 12 I really like them probably wouldn,t go back to the 15s 12s are much easier to hold and lighter to carry.

I just compared both yesterday and wow. Both bino are amazing. I was glassing up at the top of mt elden and was able to see 6 mule deer at the top 1.5 mile plus away. I spotted them so easy with the 15 s. They were definitely visible with the 12 s but at super long distances I felt like the 15 s were better and think I will be getting them. You cant loose either way though. I will sacrifice the weight to see such great detail at long distance.

• Like 3

Just thought I would follow up. After months of comparing the 12x ELs to every other top end binocular in 12 and 15X I decided the ELs were the right decision. I was close to going with the SLC 15x, but really wanted one pair of bino's to do it all, and I'm really happy with my choice. I found some good deals online and ended up purchasing a used pair on ebay at a huge discount off of retail. After a week of impatiently waiting they finally arrived this morning. I had them delivered to work and spent a few minutes with them looking down the street. I work with my hunting buddy who has never looked through swaro's before. His first comment was "Man these are clear!". I had a hard time getting them back from him after that. He's uses Vortex Viper 15X50 HDs and has always out glassed me. I think that's going to change. This year I have enough points to all but guarantee me the late Coues tag I want and new glass to find a big old rutty buck.

I carry them in a kuiu xl harness. I used them off hand while hiking, they seem very stable to me.

I traded my Kuiu harness in for a Sherpa I got to old and my optics to heavy for me to pack it around. :D